Section 21 – Notice of Possession Order Form

Buy A Section 21 - Notice Of Possession Form

What is a section 21 notice?

A landlord has a legal right to repossess his/her property at the end of an assured shorthold tenancy, which is typically the end date specified in the tenancy agreement. For this to happen, the landlord is required to follow the correct legal procedure, which includes serving a Section 21 notice (under Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988) to the tenant.

It is important to note that a Section 21 does not end a tenancy until the Court Bailiff has executed an order for possession. Therefore the service of a section 21 notice does not in itself bring a tenancy to an end, it purely informs the tenancy the landlord wishes to gain possession. In most cases, the tenants will leave without a court order, and serving the notice will be enough.

Types of section 21 notices

There are two types of section 21 notices. One is formatted specifically for notices served before the end of the fixed term and the other for after, which is known as a periodic tenancy.

Serving a section 21 during the fixed period
If you serve the notice before the end of the fixed term (including the last day of the fixed term) the notice must give a notice period of at least two months, and you will need to use a s.21 (1)(b) Notice.

So for example, if the fixed term starts on 15th January for a fixed term of six months (fixed term ends on 15th July), and you serve the notice on 8th June, the tenant will be entitled to remain in the property until the 8th August.

A s.21 (1)(b) cannot expire before the end of the fixed term but can be served at any point within it. A s.21 (1)(b) Notice does not have to be in any specific form and does not have to expire on any specific date, as long as the Notice gives two clear calender months notice of the landlords intention to recover possession then it is most likely legal.

Serving a section 21 after the fixed period (during periodic tenancy)
If you serve the notice after the fixed term, you are required to serve a Section 21 (4)(a) Notice, during a periodic tenancy, which for our example would mean on any day after 14th July, there is an extra requirement.

The notice must still give the tenant a notice period of not less than two months. However, the notice must give a date which must be the last day of a ‘period of the tenancy’. If this date is wrong, the notice will be invalid, and any claim for possession based on it will be invalid.

Under the provisions of the Housing Act 1988 (s5) a periodic tenancy will start immediately after the fixed term ends. So in our example this will be on 15 July and the periods will run from the 15th day in the month to the 14th. So any section 21 notice must give the first 14th day in the month after two months after service of the notice.

This is the difference in Section 21s: A section 21 (4)(a) must be served in a specific form and must expire on a specific date. Example, rent is due on the 26th of a month, the ‘period’ of my tenancy is from the 26th to the 25th. A section 21 (4)(a) Notice must expire on the last day of a period of a tenancy, the 25th in the example that I have used. (Landlords can now use a rider instead of putting in a date but lets keep it simple).

Maybe you need a Section 8 notice

The important point about serving a Section 21 is that it allows the landlord to repossess their property as of right- this means the tenant isn’t being evicted, but the landlord wants his/her property back. Please note, if you want possession during the fixed term then it can only be obtained if there any grounds for eviction or if the tenancy agrees to surrender the tenancy.

If you want to evict your tenant during the fixed term and have grounds to do so, a Section 21 notice is not appropriate. Use a Section 8- notice to quit instead. For further information, you may want to refer to the Difference between Section 8 and Section 21 Notice article.

It’s important to note that both sections are completely separate from one another. You can serve both at the same time (if relevant) and they won’t have any conflicting issues. You don’t need to cancel one before serving the other, they are totally separate mechanisms.

When can I serve a section 21 notice?
  • Serving a section 21 can only be used to regain possession of a property at the end of an assured shorthold tenancy – it cannot be used to speed up possession during the fixed terms agreed, unless there is a break clause in the tenancy agreement.
  • If you want to regain possession before the end of the agreed term, as mentioned, you can serve a section 8 – notice to quit, but only on the basis that the tenant has breached grounds for eviction.
  • If a deposit is taken, it must be registered with a tenancy deposit scheme and prescribed information must be served before serving a section 21 notice.

    If the deposit is not protected then return the deposit back to the tenant either in full or with agreed deductions. If the deposit is in a scheme but the prescribed information has not been served, serve the prescribed information before serving the section 21 notice. The prescribed information is key information relating to the deposit protection including details about the deposit, the scheme used to protect it, instructions about disputes and key contact information. More details about the prescribed information here

When is a section 21 not valid?

You cannot serve a section 21 in either of the following cases:

  • where a tenancy deposit has been paid to the landlord/agent but not protected in a government authorised tenancy deposit scheme
  • when a deposit is taken and secured, but the prescribed information relating the tenancy is not given to the tenant. This is key information relating to the deposit protection including details about the deposit, the scheme used to protect it, instructions about disputes and key contact information.
  • if the property is an HMO which ought to be licensed but is not
  • if a deposit has not been protected within the 30 day period (with some exceptions, which can be read here).

Many landlords are unable to serve valid Section 21 notices because they failed to secure the deposit and/or haven’t served the prescribed information. This can be tricky in the event that the tenant refuses to vacate. The best option here is to fully return the deposit, and then serve the notice, unless you have grounds for eviction. In that case, you can serve a section 8 notice– they can be served with or without the deposit being secured.

How long the notice remains valid and usable?

Once a section 21 notice is served, it will remain valid indefinitely unless it is ended by a new tenancy agreement being signed with the tenant. After this the landlord will need to serve a new section 21 notice to repossess the property at a future date.

There’s a post on the Painsmith landlord blog that explains the expiration of Section 21 notices in detail, but here’s the core of it:

If a tenant wishes to stay after the expiry of a section 21 notice for a short period this can easily be dealt with by simply sending a letter advising the tenant that the landlord will not be enforcing the expired possession order until a specific date.

Section 21 notices have no finite lifetime in which they can be used, they oldest reported case involves a section 21 notice which expired 6 years before the possession action began.

Service Of Notice

Completing and Serving notices aren’t always straight forward, so it’s imperative that great care is taken when doing it- getting it wrong can lead to delayed possession proceedings. It’s perfectly legal and common for landlord’s to serve and compile the notices, it doesn’t need to be done by a specialist. However, if you are are not confident, you should seek advise from an eviction specialist or solicitor to do this for you.

It’s extremely important that the dates written in the notice are correct- entering the wrong dates is the main reasons for notices being invalid and thrown out of court (if it gets that far).

A section 21 notice may be served by post or in person. If you plan on posting the letter yourself, it is important to be accompanied by a reliable witness that is not a relative of yours. If you want to post the notice, it is advised to send it recorded delivery, and that a minimum of three working days is allowed for the notice to arrive. Some experts recommend sending two notices from two different post offices to prevent the tenant from blaming the postal service being defective.

A section 21 notice can be served at any time, but the tenant must be given a minimum of two months notice, and in order for the notice to be valid, the tenant’s deposit must be protected in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Who do I address the notice to?

All the tenants must be named in the notice and the names of the parties and the address should match those in the tenancy agreement. As a precautionary measure, serve each individual tenant with a separate notice.

Always keep a copy of the notice served and of any covering letter.

My tenant won’t leave

Once you have issued the section 21 notice on your tenant, you are required to wait until the notice has expired (this is the date given on the notice) before you can start possession proceedings.

Once the notice has expired, you should apply for an Accelerated Possession Procedure. This is a quick method for landlords to gain possession of their property. The procedure is called accelerated because in most cases the Judge makes the order based on the paperwork, without the need for a court hearing.

Please note, this method can only be used when:

  • the tenancy is an assured shorthold tenancy (AST)
  • there is a written form of tenancy agreement
  • a valid form of section 21 notice has been served on the tenant
  • the notice period (two months) in this notice has expired
  • HMO landlords who need a license, have got one
  • any deposit has been properly protected and the notice with prescribed information served

If you use the procedure, you can only claim possession and your costs of making the application. You cannot, for example, include a claim for arrears of rent. The court will normally make its decision by looking at the documents (‘written evidence’) which you and your tenant provide. Because your application will be dealt with in this way, you must give the court all the written evidence it needs to make its decision at the outset.

Go to the official Accelerated Possession Procedure HMCS page for more details on how to go down this route.

Buy A Section 21 - Notice Of Possession Form

288 Comments- join the conversation...

Showing 238 - 288 comments (out of 288)
Guest Avatar
Richard 17th March, 2012 @ 03:06

like say my name is Richard Smith but he put Richerd Jones

Guest Avatar
LauLau 16th March, 2013 @ 10:06


Our AST runs out in 2 months and we have been issued a section 21. We were told at the beginning of the contract that we would be able to move on to a rolling one at the end of the tenancy but this has obviously not happened.

We have always kept the flat in good condition and have had quarterly inspections. The only thing they said was wrong was that we had crumbs on our kitchen counter and that the soap dish had too many soap marks (pathetic I know).

We have lived in quite a lot of rented properties and each one we have taken good care of and left in a better state of cleanliness than we found it.

We are worried that once again however, the landlord/letting agent will try and screw us for our deposit. It happens every time and takes SO long for us to get our deposit back.

One of the names on the section 21 we have been issued is incorrect. Do I have to tell my landlord about this or can I leave him to work it out himself?

Guest Avatar
YMK tenant 24th July, 2013 @ 14:08

Hi, I was wondering if you would kindly give me some advice;

My housemate and myself took out a 6 month contract to rent an apartment with a letting agency (we originally wanted something that was a bit longer, but did not want to take out a 12 month contract - the agency assured us that this wold be fine and that we could go onto a rolling month contract once our 6 month contract was done). A month before our 6 month contract ended I sent an email to the agency to let them know that I would like to continue renting the apartment and go onto what they had called a 'rolling month contract'. I was informed that this would not be possible as the landlord had sold the apartment. They then sent me an email saying that under section 21 we would need to leave the apartment at the end of the 6 month contract which is in a month. My housemate and myself were devastated - I am in the middle of a masters degree and desperately need to be close to my university and I do not have time to look for a new apartment or move and I can not take out another 6 month contract because my university education finishes in Sept/Oct.
After readying the information you have provided about section 21 - I now believe that we are entitled to 2 months notice and that we have not been correctly 'served notice' as you said it has to be posted or given in person which it hasn't been.
What advice would you give us? Is there someone who could help us? Do we go to our agency and say that we are entitled to 2 months notice before we are expected to leave?

Very upset tenant. Greatly in need of some advice.

Guest Avatar
Andy 14th October, 2013 @ 20:50

I was issued with a order for possession in Feb 2012, and I have just noticed that it was issued for a rented premises, and as I have a mortgage on this property is this correct, or is there something I can do.

Guest Avatar
jemma 12th November, 2013 @ 15:16

do you serve a section 21 when renewing a tenants tenancy agreement ??

Guest Avatar
sam 3rd December, 2013 @ 14:45

I am a landlord and I served section 8 notice because of rent arrears and the tenant made a disrepair counterclaims. The disrepair occurred after the NSP has expired. Can the tenant succeed in his claim against me?

Guest Avatar
Dee 4th February, 2014 @ 00:29

My tennant has been arrested for class a drugs offence. How do I evict and deal with his belongings if I cannot find out where he is imprisoned. I have no family contacts for him and had already served a section 21

Guest Avatar
Not Again 6th February, 2014 @ 14:52

Hopefully someone can offer some sound advice. The short version is that we have been issued with a S.21 notice. It appears valid taking into account Deposit Protection, dates etc. Our AST was up for renewal last November, and we were assure the LLs were delighted we wanted to stay on for another year. The LLs also promised a revised contract as there were errors on the original one. The agents have however ignored our requests for a reviewed agreement. The property is in need of some repair, which was started/promised prior to the S.2 being issued, but this appears to have now stopped so we still have leaks and damp etc. This is following a heating problem over Christmas, which left us without heating for 3 weeks and we incurred costs buying electric heaters & running the immersion etc. It was immediately after we asked to recoup these costs (ignored) that the notice was issued.
So: where do we stand as there are repairs & costs outstanding? We feel it's a bit rich kicking us out at such short notice, but respect it if they genuinely need the property back. However, all parties had agreed we wanted to stay here for at least another year.
The same agents issued us with a S.21 14 months ago on our last tenancy (then found us this one promising we'd be secure here) & both times have been v abrupt and not apologetic.
Are we entitled to withhold rent until the repairs / costs have been addressed?

Guest Avatar
Julie Woodhouse 22nd February, 2014 @ 11:37

I have been served a Section 21 notice and the correct procedure has been followed so I don't dispute any of that. What is confusing me though is that the Landlord as stated on my tenancy agreement is NOT the registered owner of the property and the notice has been served by the registered owner, NOT the landlord as stated on my tenancy agreement.

Is this notice valid? Or does the landlord as stated on the AST have to serve the notice? What are the implications for the landlord if I push this to a possession hearing at court?

Guest Avatar
LYNNE 26th February, 2014 @ 19:26

H have a student occupied hmo the majority owe rent and the house is not being cared for it is licensed and on an ast they are due tom leave beginning of JULY should I SERVE A SECTION 21 OR A SECTION 8? Their deposits were correctly registered within the time scale.

Guest Avatar
Steve 4th March, 2014 @ 13:09

My friend's Landlord has served a s21 notice on her to quit the property she was occupying under a fixed term tenancy. As far as I am aware the LL has complied with the rent deposit regulations. I have a number of questions which I hope you can answer.
1. The Landlord's agent had previously verbally advised my friend she would be given at least 3 months notice to quit. Does this affect the validity of the S21 notice or can she rely on this verbal promise to buy herself more time before leaving?
2. My friend had found a new property to rent but after she discovered damp and other problems the Landlord took it off the market to make good the defects. She had not signed a tenancy agreement and all the fees she paid were refunded in full. The property was immediately re-advertised - would my friend have any rights to compensation as she is now back to square 1 and the clock is ticking on the expiry of the S21? Also, if her current landlord applies for an eviction notice would the court take into account the issues she had with the property she thought she was going to move into?
My friend has 2 children and has paid all her rent up to the expiry of the S21 notice. She has kept her current Landlord fully informed of the situation with the defective property.

Guest Avatar
Diana 4th March, 2014 @ 20:36

my tenant would not leave after serving s21. Being kind, we signed AST straight away for her to get housing benefits. The deposit is mentioned there as well as monthly payments, but we never received the deposit and only a couple of hundreds of rent (bank statements show that. We also filed N8 notice after a few weeks of tenancy, but were not advised to go to the court as our AST agreement had no sentence about what happens in the case of breaching the agreement.
I have looked at the court form for possession to fill in and it asks for an evidence of serving s21, which we served in person (we have a witness). Would a letter signed by the witness be enough as the evidence? (the witness lives in another room and is a tenant as well. They both were given the same but separate notices at the same time). We also had the police involved a number of times for nuisance behaviour. Should we include this as well as another reason to gain the possession?
Many thanks, I am worried to do it wrong...

Guest Avatar
aimee 5th March, 2014 @ 14:54

with my situation its as follows my landlady has had a notice come through about a week ago and i only found out today that next week my tenancy is terminated as the result of a reposession order but a week or even 2 weeks isnt enough time to find a property im only considered a lodger but surely the mortgage company who are reposessing the house i currently living in are doing this illegally reading that theres meant to be a 2 month notice

where do i stand in this matter considering next week i will be homeless thanks to the heartless people who gave my landlady a mortgage now wanting there money which from what i can gather is only 1 month in arrears and as shes now jobless and cant repay and im also currently unemployed and i went to the council but they refuse to put me in emergency accomodation! can i appeal? can i get the order delayed to help me find somewhere?

Guest Avatar
Shan 15th March, 2014 @ 18:34

I am the owner of a tenanted property which is overseen by a letting agent. The contract was signed approx 5 years ago and has become a rolling month by month contract. There is no deposit in place. I wish to have my property back as I wish to live there as I have sold my home and no where to live. The tenant receives 'child tax credit' and pays the agent on 20th of every month and I get the payment on the 30th of every month. She is not in any arrears. Can I serve her Section 21?

Guest Avatar
stephanie 23rd March, 2014 @ 10:02

hi. i need some information asap. my landlord has posted me a section 21. he wants me out of the property. my tenency agreement has only just ran out. it was my first one. i am not in arrears with my rent. the only issue i can think of for him wanting me out is due to me asking him for the past 4 months when he will be fixing the property where he mentioned he would do when i signed the tenency agreement when i first moved in. what do i do? i been told to tell him to serve me with a section 8 and a section 10. should i do this? if not what should i do? i dont want to go i had no idea he was going to do this.

Guest Avatar
julie 3rd April, 2014 @ 07:56

Im filling in a n5b form the resent type but dont understand page 2 qurestion 3 I have 2 Ast agreements do I cross a section out orleave in?

Guest Avatar
Sanya 23rd April, 2014 @ 15:34

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled across this interesting website looking for an answer. I want to serve my tenant S21 but because it's an HMO and she pays rent every two weeks (in the contract states that she needs to pay either every two weeks or every 4 weeks) I am confused as which date I should put on the S21 as obviously if it goes to court then I need to put the correct date on for it to be valid. I will be greatful for any input or guidance.
I thank All in advance.

Guest Avatar
Sal 24th April, 2014 @ 12:35

Hi I issued my tenant with a section 21 which expires next week she is refusing to leave on instruction by the council, however my living situation has changed and I have to move into my own property with my 3 children, she is still refusing to leave but I'm moving in regardless of if she's there or not, I won't be changing the locks, what is the worst that can happen to me?

Guest Avatar
Marta Świerska 30th April, 2014 @ 15:39

Hi. I just want to ask if the notice requiring possession has 2 names on it, but only one person signed tenancy is actually legal? Would court even consider looking at those documents, does the landlord need to give a new notice? thanks

Guest Avatar
sid 2nd May, 2014 @ 18:25

Hi everyone I am a landlord and I have served a section 21 which has expired and now the tenant is asking me to pay the utility bills, does the tenant have any defence the property is a HMO but there are only 3 people residing at the property I would really appreciate some help in this one. Thanks

Guest Avatar
Hales 17th June, 2014 @ 20:21

Hi all just need a little advice. I'm a tenant who's lived in a property for over 10 months I signed a 2 year contract through a management company, I have paid the rent every month without fail some months paid the management company and other months paid the landlady direct. Yesterday I received a letter from my landlady stating that with regret she has no option but to hand keys for all her properties back to the lenders as the management company have not been paying her. And today(17/06/14) I have received a section 21 backdated from the 2/06/2014 giving me until the 28/06/2014 to leave the property. I have read up on the internet that the form is invalid as I have a 2 year contract and the fact that she's only gave me 26 days notice, but on what grounds can I stay living at this property if the lenders are having the keys? Any advice will be helpfull as I have nowhere to go and have 2 children a 1&2 year old. Thanks in advance for your help

Guest Avatar
Benji 17th June, 2014 @ 20:53


It seems your assessment is right but there are a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts'.

Best thing is to book an appointment at you local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Do not believe anything told you from the mortgage company or their agents.

Check here who owns your property and who is the mortgage lender (£3)!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

Guest Avatar
Kirstie 30th June, 2014 @ 11:29

Hi hope someone can help. Im a landlord, who has gone into this with little knowledge and totally green.

I found tenants who I thought I could trust, printed a tenancy agreement from the internet and off we went.

I did not know about the necessity to protect the bond in a registered scheme so just paid it into a savings account which is where it stayed until the Tenant got into difficulty with rent arrears and she requested I use the deposit as a months rent.

She has been an ok tenant apart from when she has been on maternity leave both times rent has got into arrears, when ive chased for arrears she has asked for repairs to the property which havent been mentioned previously. There is a problem with the waste drains from the property which I have been waiting insurers replying to me on and the boiler is old, and has had a few problems which have been covered by a boiler breakdown policy, she is insisting is replaced by a new boiler.

Other issues are minor and to be fair are basic DIY.

The rent is currently in arrears by 2 months and it will be 3 months tomorrow. The tenancy agreement is up 30th June. I have offered the tenant leniancy with rent payments and agreed for her to pay installments, all of whihc have been broken.

I want her out as the relationship has broken down completely, but she is basically saying I have broken the law and will take it further.

I have issued her with the following notice, giving 2 months notice. Ive not heard a thing from her, what should I do now, I can afford for her not to pay any rent at all and I dont know what if anything I can please.....

Housing Act 1988

Section 21(4)(a)

Assured Shorthold Tenancy: Notice Requiring Possession:

Periodic Tenancy

To: Ms (removed)

Of: (removed)

From: Mrs (removed)

Of: (removed)

I give notice that I require possession of the dwelling house known as (removed).

After the end of the period of your tenancy which will next end after the expiration of 2 months from the end of your current Tenancy Agreement, being 30th June 2014

I require you to vacate on or before 31st August 2014.

In this notice it is noted that your deposit of £475 has been used, upon your request, to pay towards outstanding arrears, being 1 months payment overdue from February 2014.

It is also noted herein that the repairs to the property, requested by yourself, specifically the lock on the front door of the property, a leak near the tiles surrounding the bath, the drive gate being down, damage to the roof of the unused outbuildings, the drain waste and a new boiler, now to be completed once you have left the property. Even though access has been requested to assess repairs.

As of todays date the rent is in arrears by £650 plus £475 to replace the security deposit. A total of £1125.. As a gesture of goodwill to compensate for your inconvenience regarding the outstanding repairs I have proposed that I will waive £475 being 1 months rent and that the rent being due for the remainder of the notice period be reduced to £400 each month due on the first of July and the first of August.. The total required from yourself prior to leaving the property is £1400, including replacing the security deposit, which of course would be returned to yourself once an inspection of the property has been carried out to ensure that all carpets, laminated flooring, fixtures and fittings are in their original state when you took over the Tenancy

Dated The Eighteenth day of June, Two Thousand And Fourteen

Signed, either by, or on behalf of, the Landlord Date:_______________

If you do not understand what this notice means it is strongly suggested you ask for an explanation at
the earliest opportunity. You might consider consulting a Solicitor, Citizens Advice Bureau or Housing
Advice Centre

Guest Avatar
Benji 30th June, 2014 @ 12:30

IMO the rent/repair issues should be separate from the section 21 notice.

I'd leave all that out and serve a simple plain section 21 and take out a separate Money Claim On Line for the arrears.

If the tenant is on housing benefit, ask the council for direct payment.

I'd also ask the feller that runs this site to remove all the personal information from your post.

Guest Avatar
David 11th July, 2014 @ 18:06

A member of my family owns a flat that has been let to the same tenant for two years. They now want to sell the flat and a S.21 Notice has been served on the tenant. Trying to be reasonable, a two and a half month period was allowed for in the Notice. Following service we found out that for some considerable time the tenant has been in receipt of housing benefit and his rent has been paid out of this; as a result he is lookiing to the Local Authority to re-house him. However, we have now been told that the Notice is invalid because it specified a date for possession one day after the periodic date of the statutory tenancy that came into force following the expiry of the term of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy originally granted.

Is anyone able to offer any advice or suggestion about what may be done to solve the problem?

Guest Avatar
rebecca 15th July, 2014 @ 20:23


I'm looking for some advice.

I am a co-owner of a property with my mum and dad. They have a tenancy agreement with the current tenant as the landlords but I am not party to the agreement. The current tenant receives help from the council and will not leave the property because she wants to be housed.

I live with my parents but they are selling their house and moving far away from our current area. we have served a section 21 notice which expires on the 1st September. mum and dad are being pushed to exchange with completion either late July or early August.

I am being made homeless, is there anything I can do to get the property back?.

Guest Avatar
Bulleon 17th July, 2014 @ 05:16

Hi looking for some advice. We are tenants with no rent arrears, we have been served notice on our property, the council have advised us to remain in the property past the. Date provided. If we stay longer do we still have to pay rent?

Guest Avatar
Laraine 17th July, 2014 @ 21:18

Hi I am a tenant who has been served with a section 21 notice I have been asked to leave the property on 17 sept 14. Am I in my rights to leave the property before that date if I find another property without being responsible for the remain month of rent. Also if I have not received any paper work regarding the deposit scheme am I still entitled to my deposit back. Thanks

Guest Avatar
Jenny 23rd July, 2014 @ 14:07


Please someone give me some legal advice!! I OWN my flat but it is LEASEHOLD and I have gone into GROUND RENT ARREARS of only £158. They now expect me to pay all charges plus legal fees as it has gone to court and an order of possession has been issued plus an eviction notice of only one month to leave the premises. I was planning to sell my flat this year and move out anyway. I am going to send them a cheque but I need to know where I stand in relation to selling - will they demand that the sale be in their hands or can the solicitors dealing with the sale also deal with paying the court once the flat is sold??

Guest Avatar
Karen 27th July, 2014 @ 06:46

Hi I need help. Tenant's AST converted to SPT and although Section 21 notice served during AST did not need to proceed. Fast forward to 6 months into SPT and we decide to sell. Wrote to tenant stating we nil wish to give notice 2 months notice expiring May 31 but tenant failed to move out on that date, in meantime Section 8 notice proceedings issued as 2 months in arrears. Question: tenant moves out 10 days prior to court hearing date but fails to surrender keys, leaves no forwarding address and lots of Bills (also maintained she was landlord to obtain utilities). When asked states not moved out fully but property does not sustain day to day living, no fridge, freezer, beds, other furniture, clothes, just rubbish, out if date potatoes and rubbish!. Court awarded costs and rent arrears but not possession as yet. Are her actions implied surrender?

Guest Avatar
Paul 18th August, 2014 @ 19:01

I am a Guarantor in my son's tenancy agreement and word of mouth suggests that he and his fellow tenants are about to be served a Section 21 for November. Meanwhile one of his mate has left and is being replaced by another and, today, I have been asked to sign another DofG agreement to include the new person.
I am reluctant to stand Guarantor for all tenants when it is most likely that they could, individually, be wanting to secure a roof over their heads elsewhere.
Where do I stand here?

Guest Avatar
darren church 30th September, 2014 @ 21:34

I was given a section 21 dated for only one month and have been unable to secure new accommodation but have been advised by housing and citizens advice that this section 21 is not valid as it should of been 2 months and told do not move out untill I have new accommodation but am really worried the landlord will try to lock me out or remove my possessions. What should I do?

Guest Avatar
Becca 9th October, 2014 @ 18:34

I moved into a property on 15th march with a shorthold tenancy on 20th june received a letter from my land lord stating he was to sell the property and that he was giving me one months notice, I went to my local council who spoke to my landlord and informed him the notice letter was not enough he needed to serve me with a section 21 which would give me 2 months notice ending on 15th September. I received this section 21 on 15th July I was told by the council that I was not to leave on 15th September and my landlord would issue me with court proceedings, i paid my rent as usual taking me up until 15th October, I have since been offered and taken a council house and informed my landlord tonight I would be able to leave the house next week, he is now saying I need to give him one months notice and that my deposit which is backed in a proper government scheme would not be retuned if I was to leave with no notice, how can this be correct how can I possibly need to give him notice when I am leaving the house because he gave me notice? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Avatar
handoko 28th October, 2014 @ 04:34

I am want...
daftar harga hp terbaru

Guest Avatar
Karina 21st November, 2014 @ 18:41

Hi. My landlord has served a section 21 as they want to sell our house. We have been able to find a new property very quickly and are keen to move in asap. However my landlord is saying that we will need to pay the 2 months of notice rent, but the new estate agent is telling us that because the section 21 has been served we only have to pay until the day we move out. Can someone please confirm this as I don't want to make things awkward between ourselves and the landlord.

Guest Avatar
emma 15th December, 2014 @ 19:05

Hello, I really need some help.
I live in a single room since August 2013. My old boss know the the boss from the agency and I was able to move in with my boyfriend right away without deposit but also without a tenancy agreement. So monthly I was paying cash or straight to the bank the rent . Recently , a "hater" decided to put a "good" word for me and talked with the boss from the estate agency to give me a notice .The thing is they did gave me in hand a formal notice in 3 lines to vacate the room in 2 weeks, not 2 months as the law says. What can I do , as a tenancy without a contract .Do I have any rights? Please someone to give me an advice , I caused no troubles , I paid the rent always on time . My bank account is on this address, my GP it' s on this address and I am registered like a self employed as well on this address. But I have no tenancy agreement with the agency. What can I do??
Thank you

Guest Avatar
Benji 15th December, 2014 @ 20:23


Guest Avatar
Denize Okutan 3rd February, 2015 @ 11:21

I assisted a landlord to obtain possession using section 21 HA 1988. In court yesterday the judge gave possession but refused an order for (£5,500) rent arrears saying S21 ONLY gets possession despite it saying in the form N119 (particulars of claim) that the claimant wants the court to order payment of the arrears. Is that correct because I've known of numerous judges in the past who have granted judgements for arrears with a S21 application. It was NOT the S21 accelerated procedure.

Guest Avatar
Gemma 9th February, 2015 @ 20:52

Hi, I need some accurate advice here please.... My landlord has served me with a section 21 notice with the 2 months needed for it to be valid however what I need to know is my deposit was as far as I'm concerned never put in to a deposit safety scheme and he used it all to cover rent when my housing benefit stopped, Now this was stopped incorrectly but they paid back all monies owed as it went to court and the judge saw it in my favour but didn't make an order for them to pay back the rent arrears, Now my landlord at the time was happy enough to wipe the arrears and gave me a new tenancy agreement once my benefits started up again and the rent has been paid on time everytime since but another one of questions is that whilst in court for a previous landlord from hell who also served me with a section 21 notice the judge had told the agent/landlord that I should have stopped paying the rent as soon as the notice was served? Is this correct? I don't want to be nasty to my landlord as has on occasions been nice but mould in my house has become so bad that my daughter has now become ill as mould was found to have spread to her bad/mattress/pillow and shortly after reporting this he sent me a message stating that he intends on selling the property so will be serving a section 21 notice even though he isn't selling as I've been informed by his home maintenance crew he isn't selling but it is his property so not much I can say, so all in all what I need to now is 1) can he serve me this notice if he didn't put my deposit into a scheme. 2) does he have to return this deposit to me before I leave 3) do I continue to pay rent now I have this notice?

What I am also worried about is last time I was in this situation the council basically told me they will only put me into a hostel even though I'm a single parent with a 16 year old child preparing for her exams and young dog bought from my father for my daughter as a present and all I got told was get rid of the dog and put your furniture in storage and I have to pay for that and take the hostel or your homeless, surely this can't be right?


Guest Avatar
B.T. 12th February, 2015 @ 14:12

hi, thanks for this blog. I have a question if I may in regards to how much notice period must be given the tenant if the rent is paid every 6 months for instance. B.T.

Guest Avatar
Oli 23rd February, 2015 @ 15:59


I live in a rented room in a house with three others. I paid a £300 deposit when I moved in which is in a deposit protection scheme. After completion of a six month minimum term in September 2014, the contract is now a rolling monthly AST.

All contracts state that all rooms are for single occupancy only.

One of the tenants has had his girlfriend move in with him and the issue was brought to the landlord's attention in November last year. However, the landlord ate up whatever lie the tenant told him. The girlfriend stayed out of sight for a month or so but since Christmas she is now back living in the house. She disrupts the house a lot, as is constantly in the kitchen and constantly in the bathroom.

I have now had enough as it's really affecting my standard of living in the house. Because the issue has previously been brought to the landlord's attention and was not adequately dealt with, I now want to pay £300 less rent than I normally pay. This is because I want to protect my £300 deposit should the landlord decide to withhold it from me at some stage. Thereafter I will then pay £100 less rent than normal until either (a) I move out or (b) conditions within the house are restored per my contract.

Am I right to do this? Having complained before and no action being taken I feel I am justified.

Hope someone can help.

Guest Avatar
Bob smith 11th March, 2015 @ 14:24

I am a tenant and my Bond was secured via the BRITISH LEGION . who sent me a deposit Guarantee bit of paperwork only .
Now my Landlord agent are trying to get me out with a Section 21 as it seems quite common now .. but I read everywhere that unless the Deposit is secured with the main 3 schemes that the section 21 is NOT valid . Also it states on my Tenancy agreement that this legion Bond is Exempt from the Housing act 2004 is this correct as i think this is wrong ??

Guest Avatar
bobby 10th April, 2015 @ 15:40

My landlord has decided to sell the property I have rented from him. The tenancy agreement ends on the 10th of June; as yet I haven't received any notice from the letting agent. The property was advertised on right move yesterday, my tenancy agreement says that they can only market the property during the last month of the agreement. I am very annoyed as I was told I could have a further two years at the end of the tenancy but now he has decided to sell. When I took the property I asked if it was a long let as I needed stability for my young child and it was near to school. I don't know why I haven't received notice and I'm not sure what happens if my tenancy agreement ends with no notice either. Can anyone help? My rent is all up to date and my house is immaculate. Thanks.

Guest Avatar
pinpin 22nd April, 2015 @ 16:53

hi from your description , I think must have rules like this , i'l try to learn about this

Guest Avatar
bobby 22nd April, 2015 @ 17:37

Please can anyone help with comment number 279? My landlord still hasn't served me the section 21 notice and my tenancy agreement ends on the 10th of June? The property is on right move for sale and he has said he doesn't want to give me a two year tenancy agreement either. Not sure if I have any rights if the agreement ends? Please help; there are lots of questions on here but no response!!!! Need help ASAP. Regards.

Guest Avatar
Emilia 28th April, 2015 @ 22:31

with regard to your question 279, the landlord or the agent acting on behalf of the landlord has to serve you with a valid notice for 2 months, after the expiry of the notice there is further procedure to follow for this to be a legal eviction, final step where you would have to leave would be the court granting a bailiffs warrant. In your case the first step would be most likely be being served a section 21 notice, as you are not in arrears (with arrears over 8wks its usually a section 8 notice) After the expiry of the notice the landlord would need to apply for a possession order from the court. You do not mention your deposit, have you paid one and have you received the tenancy deposit certificate with the prescribed information and are the details on this correct, dates are relevant so check this. This would be useful info as once the 2 mnth notice period expires, provided the notice has been served correctly, you can launch a defense for the possession order proceeding if the deposit has not been protected correctly, or if there are issues with the dates on the notice the court may decide to issue a hearing or even dismiss the notice as invalid, thus requiring the landlord to serve a new notice. I highly recommend you keep paying the rent as normal and contact shelter, your local council housing dep or homelessness prevention unit if they have one, or citizens advice bureau asap for more advice. Do not try to deal with this alone without expert advice, don't panic, and do not respond or fill in forms from the court without advice by yourself. If you are on a low income, income limits can be found on HMCS website etc. you may also be able to qualify for legal aid covering costs for a solicitor to represent you as things progress with the court. Too many tenants are unaware of their rights. I think the reason for so few answers on this site is it seems to be aimed at mostly landlords that are pursuing eviction. I hope this helps, do your research and get assistance or otherwise you are making it easier for ll to get away with illegal eviction. I wish you all the best!!

Guest Avatar
bobby 29th April, 2015 @ 06:03

Thanks Emilia. I am in full time employment and on a good salary; my problem is not related to financial difficulty or related to the deposit!!!! I am at a loss as to why landlords think it's is okay to treat any one this way regardless of their earnings!! This property is being marketed for sale without any notice having been served. I enquired 12 weeks before the end of the agreement (10th June 15) to ask to sign again and was told yes to a further two years from the letting agent. They have a right to change their mind as they think the housing market for sales is getting better and want to try their luck. Why not be honest when they rent to someone; I asked for stability for my child and they said yes it was a long let. They send an agent round to value 8 weeks ago and I hear nothing. Through a friend I hear it's on websites for sale; they don't even have the decency to inform me. I have people parked up looking through the windows, obviously as it's being marketed. There isn't a deposit problem that's all in hand with the agent. I am asking if they are allowed to market for sale without any section 21 being served.... whether or not you have income low or high; your home is just that and it is extremely worrying to think that this can happen. A long let should mean 4 years and over and landlords should have to commit to this if they change their minds along the way, this isn't a fair system in any way. I still need to know if anyone can answer what do I do if notice hasn't been served and the property is on rightmove? Thanks.

Guest Avatar
B.T. 29th April, 2015 @ 07:11

bobby, whatever you decided to do, do NOT make yourself intentionally homeless, by that I mean do not leave your 'settled home'.

It will take your landlord quite some time to evict you so stay put and get the ball rolling with your local council, shelter etc. as Emilia has already pointed out.

You do have options, do not panic and get in touch with your local council and citizen advice bureau now! Do not be tempted to sign any papers you may receive from your landlord or his representatives including agencies.

Document everything, including taking hard and soft copy of the property being advertised, email communications and start filing them with a view to present your evidence in court, should it get to that.

Guest Avatar
shannon 14th May, 2015 @ 09:55

Iown a property.It was let 15 years ago. The tenancy agreement was originally in the husband and wife name. They also had a child who is now over 18 years old..The tenancy agreement has expired few years ago.I now wants possession of my property. What type of eviction notice do I give them . Shall I also include the the child's name now over 18.

Guest Avatar
jodiana 15th August, 2015 @ 21:31

Hi my mom has accorded a property for 15 years now she has never met her landlord but dealt with rent via bank transfer and was never in arrears now she is deceased her son has serve a section 21 question is his he correct to do such thing without a reason has to why and a sec 21 was serve after bein at the property for 15years.should there be an explanation?

Guest Avatar
MattyT 17th August, 2015 @ 19:11

I have recently had a possession order refused as I calculated the expirary date on the section 21 form incorrectly and so applied to the court to soon. Do I need to serve a new section 21 and wait another 2 months or can I now re apply as the date on which it would have expired has now passed?
On the section 21 form I put the expiary date was the 13th of july but the judge has said it expired on the 3rd of august.


Please leave a comment...