Section 8 Notice To Quit Form- Eviction Notice

Buy Section 8 Notice To Quit Form

The information in this post applies to residential tenancies in England and Wales.

What is a Section 8?

A “section 8 notice”, also known as an ‘Eviction Notice’, is used to terminate an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement during the fixed period when a tenant has breached the agreement (e.g fallen into rent arrears).

A landlord cannot legally evict their tenant without obtaining an order for possession from a court first. Before applying to the court for this order, the landlord must serve a “Section 8 notice to quit” form on the tenant. The notice states that the landlord intends to seek possession of the property and states the ground(s) on which possession is sought.

Before serving notice

Before serving a section 8 notice, I would recommend reading through the various methods available on how to terminate a tenancy agreement– there are several options available, and there might be a more suitable option for you. Section 8’s can often be one of the most aggressive and complicated approaches.

Section 8 Vs Section 21

Many landlords get confused between a Section 8 and Section 21 notice, and it’s understandable why. While you can serve both notices to one tenant at the same time, it’s important to understand the differences.

Essentially, a Section 8 is served when a landlord has grounds for eviction (e.g. rent arrears), consequently the landlord wishes to terminate the tenancy during the fixed term. A Section 21 is served to give ‘notice of possession’ to the tenant, which is when the landlord wants the property back at the end of the tenancy, which importantly means, it isn’t an eviction. Here is more information about a Section 21, notice of possession, you may always want to read more details on the difference between a Section 21 and a Section 8 notice.

It’s important to note that it might be more effective to serve a Section 21 in cases where the fixed term of a tenancy is coming to an end and there are grounds for eviction. The reason being is that a landlord is given possession by default when correctly serving a section 21- the tenant/Court cannot dispute it. Whereas if a Section 8 is served, and the tenant disputes the grounds for eviction, it could go either way, depending on if it goes to court and what evidence is given. Again, for more information on this, refer to the differences between a Section 21 and a Section 8 notice article.

Breach of agreement by tenant

The most common type of breach during the term of the tenancy is for non-payment of rent. However, any breaches of the terms of the tenancy agreement justify possession proceedings (e.g. damage to the property).

In order for the section 8 to be valid, the landlord must rely on specify which grounds set out in Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988, the tenant has breached.

How to serve a Section 8 Notice

To start proceedings, you must first inform the tenant, using the section 8 notice, that you wish to seek possession. The Notice of Seeking Possession is issued under section 8 of the Housing Act 1988 and must be served in the prescribed form – ‘section 8’. The notice could be included with a final rent reminder letter.

Any errors made when issuing the section 8 notice (which is extremely common) is likely to delay the landlord gaining possession. That’s why it is always advised to seek legal advise before issuing a section 8.

Service of the Notice

The notice can be served by post or in person. If there is more than one tenant, the notice must be served on all tenants.

The courts will recognise the day of postal service as the day on which the letter would normally have arrived.

It is recommended that a colleague witnesses the sending of the notice. When using postal service, it is recommended that the notice be sent by recorded delivery for proof of delivery, and that a minimum of three working days is allowed for the notice to arrive.

The Grounds For Eviction

The ground you wish to evict your tenant on will need to be stated in the section 8 form.

These Grounds are contained in Schedule 2 HA 1988. The grounds fall into 2 categories:

  • Grounds 1-8 (Mandatory) – the court must make the possession Order
  • Grounds 9-17 (Discretionary) – the court will make the Order only if it is reasonable to do so.

Ground 1

Landlord(s) requires the property back in order to live in it. This ground can only be used if before the tenancy the Landlord had lived in the property as his / her main home.

The court has to look at all the circumstances, including hardship to the tenant or Landlord before deciding whether to make an order.

Ground 2

The property is subject to a mortgage which pre-dates the tenancy and the lendor wishes to exercise its rights over the property, i.e. repossess it. A notice under this ground must be served before the creation of the tenancy.

Ground 3

The tenancy is for a fixed period of not more than eight months and the property is occupied as a holiday let and at least twelve months before the tenancy started it had been used as a holiday let. Written notice must be given either before or at the time the tenancy begins that possession might be required under this ground.

Ground 4

The tenancy is for a fixed period of not more than twelve months and has been let by an educational establishment/institution (e.g. university, colleges etc.) and possession is required. Written notice must be given on or before the tenancy begins that possession might be required on this ground.

Ground 5

The property is used as a home for a Minister of Religion and is needed for another Minister of Religion. Written notice must have been given at the time or before the tenancy begins that possession might be required under this ground.

Ground 6

The Landlord intends to demolish or reconstruct the whole or part of the property or carry out major works to all or part of it and the works cannot be carried out if the tenant is there (e.g. because the tenant will not agree to give access or agree to be restricted to living in part of the property whilst works are carried out on the other part). The Landlord must pay the tenants reasonable removal expenses if the possession is granted under this ground.

Ground 7

Where the previous tenant has died and the new tenant is not entitled to “succeed” to the tenancy and the tenancy is a periodic tenancy which has passed to the new tenant on death or under a Will. The Landlord must bring proceedings within twelve months of the death of the tenant or twelve months of the date the Landlord became aware of the tenant’s death.

Ground 7A

In order for possession to be ordered by the court, any one or more of the following five conditions contained within 7A must be met.

Condition 1

  • was committed in, or in the locality of, the dwelling-house, or
  • was committed elsewhere against a person with a right (of whatever description) to reside in, or occupy housing accommodation in the locality of, the dwelling-house, or
  • was committed elsewhere against the landlord of the dwelling-house, or a person employed (whether or not by the landlord) in connection with the exercise of the landlord’s housing management functions, and directly or indirectly related to or affected those functions.

Condition 2

A court has found in relevant proceedings that the tenant, or a person residing in or visiting the dwelling-house, has breached a provision of an injunction under section 1 of the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 and:

  • the breach occurred in, or in the locality of, the dwelling-house, or
  • the breach occurred elsewhere and the provision breached was a provision intended to prevent –
    • conduct that is capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to a person with a right (of whatever description) to reside in, or occupy housing accommodation in the locality of, the dwelling-house, or
    • conduct that is capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to the landlord of the dwelling-house, or a person employed (whether or not by the landlord) in connection with the exercise of the landlord’s housing management functions, and that is directly or indirectly related to or affects those functions.

Condition 3

The tenant, or a person residing in or visiting the dwelling-house, has been convicted of an offence under section 30 consisting of a breach of a provision of a criminal behaviour order prohibiting a person from doing anything described in the order, and the offence involved:

  • a breach that occurred in, or in the locality of, the dwelling-house, or
  • a breach that occurred elsewhere of a provision intended to prevent:
    • behaviour that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to a person with a right (of whatever description) to reside in, or occupy housing accommodation in the locality of, the dwelling-house, or
    • behaviour that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to the landlord of the dwelling-house, or a person employed (whether or not by the landlord) in connection with the exercise of the landlord’s housing management functions, and that is directly or indirectly related to or affects those functions.

Condition 4

  • The dwelling-house is or has been subject to a closure order under section 80, and
  • access to the dwelling-house has been prohibited (under the closure order or under a closure notice issued under section 76 of that Act) for a continuous period of more than 48 hours.

Condition 5

The tenant, or a person residing in or visiting the dwelling-house, has been convicted of an offence under;

  • section 80(4) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (breach of abatement notice in relation to statutory nuisance), or
  • section 82(8) of that Act (breach of court order to abate statutory nuisance etc.), and
  • the nuisance concerned was noise emitted from the dwelling-house which was a statutory nuisance for the purposes of Part 3 of that Act by virtue of section 79(1)(g) of that Act (noise emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance).

Ground 8

At the date of service of the notice and at the date of the hearing, the tenant has not paid the rent, and either rent is payable weekly or fortnightly and at least eight weeks’ rent is unpaid; or rent is payable monthly and at least two months’ rent is unpaid; or rent is payable quarterly and at least one quarter’s rent is more than three months in arrears.

Note: When claiming possession under this ground, it is advisable to cite more than one ground since, if the tenant pays off part of the arrears shortly before the hearing, this ground can no longer be proved and possession proceedings will have to be abandoned. It is, therefore, common practice to cite more than one ground for rent arrears (i.e. grounds 8, 10 & 11), if applicable, and to also wait until at least two months’ rent (or eight weeks in the case of a weekly tenancy) is unpaid before issuing the Section 8 Notice.

Ground 9

That there will be suitable alternative accommodation available for the tenant if a Possession Order is made. The Landlord must pay the tenant’s reasonable removal expenses if a Possession Order is made. A tenant can oppose a Possession Order on this ground if the alternative accommodation is not suitable.

Ground 10

Any amount of rent is in arrears at the date of service of the notice and remains unpaid on the date on which the proceedings for possession are begun.

Ground 11

The tenant has repeatedly failed to pay rent.

Ground 12

The Tenant has breached any term of the tenancy agreement (other than one relating to the payment of rent).

Ground 13

The property has deteriorated due to neglect by the tenant or by someone living with him and the tenant has failed to remove that person.

Ground 14

The tenant or someone living with him has caused a nuisance to neighbours, visitors or others in the locality or has been convicted of using the property for immoral or illegal purposes or has been convicted of an indictable offence committed in the locality.

Ground 14A

This ground is only open to registered social landlords or charitable housing trusts and can not be used by private landlords.

The property is occupied by a couple and one of them has left due to violence or threats of violence from the other partner or from a member of that partner’s family who was living in the property also. This notice can only be used by a registered social landlord or a charitable housing trust. The tenant who has left must also be sent this notice.

Ground 15

The furniture has been ill-treated by the tenant or by someone living with him and the tenant has failed to remove that person.

Ground 16

This ground covers cases where the tenant was an employee of the landlord and has since left his employ. This case is rarely used as most resident employees are licensees and therefore not covered by the housing acts.

Ground 17

The landlord was induced to grant the tenancy by a false statement made knowingly or recklessly by either the tenant or a person acting at the tenant’s instigation.

The amount of notice required to be given to the tenant will vary depending on which Ground the tenant is being evicted on. If the landlord is relying on ground 2, two months’ notice must be given. If the landlord is relying on grounds 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 14A, 15 or 17, two weeks’ notice must be given.

Once the Tenant receives the Notice

Once you have issued the section 8 notice on your tenant, you are required to wait until the notice has expired – this is the date you give on the notice. Approximately 80% of tenants leave after being served notice.

If the tenant has not vacated, or paid up any rent arrears by this point, then it will be necessary to start court possession proceedings. This is done by obtaining the appropriate forms from your local court (forms N5andN119) and payment of the appropriate court fee.

In most cases, once a tenant receives the 8 notice, they vacate the property, to avoid any court hearings. However, if this is not the case, the landlord should apply for a possession order from a court.

Here’s more information on Evicting Tenants.

Does serving a Section 8 Guarantee A Possession Order?

Serving a section 8 notice does not guarantee that the court will grant a possession order for the tenant to vacate. It depends on which grounds are relied upon as well as the strength of the the landlord’s argument.

However, Grounds 2 and 8 of a section 8 notice are mandatory, meaning that if a landlord is evicting a tenant that has breached either of those grounds and can prove to the court that the tenant is guilty, then the court MUST be in the favour of the landlord and issue the landlord with a possession order.

Grounds 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 14A, 15 and 17 are discretionary grounds, meaning that the court will not necessarily side with the landlord even if he/she can prove that one of the grounds applies. If this is the case, it is at the court’s discretion to determine whether to grant a landlord a possession order. The court will look at the facts and evidence and then make a decision.

If a court is satisfied that a landlord is entitled to possession on one of the grounds, then the court will grant a possession order to take effect within 14 days. In some cases, the court may extend this to six weeks if it will cause the tenant to experience exceptional hardship.

Buy Section 8 Notice To Quit Form

Free Legal Advice for landlords

Right, so I’ve started to get inundated with enquiries from landlords seeking advice on tenant evictions, so I reached out to one of the leading landlord legal specialists in the country, LegalforLandlords – and they have agreed to give Property Investment Project followers free tenant eviction legal advice (no obligations) and special discounted rates if you choose to use any of their eviction services.

If you’re confused and want advice on how to evict or get rid of your tenant…

Landlord Legal ServicePrice FromNotes

  • PIP landlords can access key services FREE of CHARGE or at special discounted rates.
  • FREE legal advice service.
  • FREE pre-court-action letters.
  • Legal services which can help you avoid the expense of solicitors' fees.
Call for Free Advice on: 0333 240 8255
Email Support

156 Comments- Join The Conversation...

Showing 106 - 156 comments (out of 156)
Guest Avatar
Kristina Kirby 30th May, 2013 @ 17:08

About 5 years ago i made a down payment and am buying a house on land contract.I am letting my grandma live in a trailor on that land. Months ago her son moved into the trailor with her without my permission. I do not charge her nothing. The catch is the one living their is the one i am buying the house from. Is it legal for him to do this

Guest Avatar
C4722 21st August, 2013 @ 20:43

I recently moved into a private rented house 6 weeks ago, under a 6 month tennency agreement and the landlord has just informed me they are going to sell the house and have given me 2 months to leave, with nowhere to go. Do I have any legal options?

Guest Avatar
sprog 25th August, 2013 @ 13:05

We have been renting fora year, tenancy agreement ends sept 10th. The agreement says nothing about Pets. We have 2 dogs and were given verbal permission from landlord. He is now saying he didn't give permission and is telling us we have to be out sept. 10th because of the dogs. I only have proof of permission for 1 dog.
Also, the house was disgusting when we moved in. We recarpeted the whole house, put in brand new appliances and redecorated. We have all the receipts.
What can we do?

Guest Avatar
Alice 30th September, 2013 @ 01:33

Hello everyone.
My name is Alice, my boyfriend and I has been separated for a long period due to some misunderstanding, I came across different spell casters and they were all unable to bring my lover back. I was so sad and almost gave up on him when i met a spell caster called Dr. Desmond, who helped me get my lover back. Ever since then i have been so happy and couldn't believe it would happen. He also helped me with success spell, I have been living happily with my lover now and will be getting married soon. Here is his contact if you need his help on getting your ex back, stop your marriage from crumbling, or you need success in every aspect of your life.

Guest Avatar
Liam Bland 23rd October, 2013 @ 09:22

I think the above comment about wanting to serve an order 8, when you havent even followed the correct procedure yourself with regards to deposit is bit of a joke! (hypercritical or what?)

I do renting and have made sure ive had my rent every single month regardless, im a good tenant if you like! If you dont know the correct procedures and law when renting your own property, im sorry but its you own silly fault when it goes wrong!!

Guest Avatar
Samuel Lina 29th October, 2013 @ 08:46

I and my husband have been having a lot of problem living together, he will always not make me happy because he have fallen in love with another lady outside our relationship, i tried my best to make sure that my husband leave this woman but the more i talk to him the more he makes me feel sad, so my marriage is now leading to divorce because he no longer gives me attention. so with all this pain and agony, i decided to contact this spell caster to see if things can work out between me and my husband again. the spell caster told me what i will do to get my husband back, so he told me that he was going to make all things normal back. he did the spell on my husband and after 5 days my husband changed completely he even apologize with the way he treated me that he was not him self, i really thank this priest his name is Dr HOODOO he have bring back my husband back to me i want you all to contact him who are having any problem related to marriage issue and relationship problem he will solve it for you. his email hoodoolovespell@yahoo. com

Guest Avatar
ROBERT 6th November, 2013 @ 13:18

Talking about section 8 (not about saving marriages)I will add that a 'section 8 notice to quit', also known as a 'section 8 possession notice', is so called because it operates under section 8 of the Housing Act 1988. A section 8 notice can only be issued to a tenant who has breached the terms laid out in the tenancy agreement and if certain conditions have been met, the most common being one involving rent arrears. The landlord cannot evict the tenant without first obtaining an order for possession from a court. Before applying to the court for such an order, the landlord must serve a Section 8 notice to quit on the tenant. The notice states that the landlord intends to seek possession of the property and states the ground or grounds on which possession is sought. Also it enables you to end a shorthold tenancy agreement during the fixed period of your tenants agreement, with an average notice period of 2 weeks (2 months if ground 2). I just told landlords to verify the tenants information beforehand to avoid problems in future!

Guest Avatar
julliana 25th November, 2013 @ 13:47

Hello To The World At Large, my name is, From mexico. I will start by saying to all that have experience heart break and also cant do with out there lover should please stop here and read up my story, So as you will know how to go solving or getting your ex back from this spell caster AND AGAIN I WANT TO ALSO TELL ALL THIS SPELL CASTER, I WILL WANT TO TELL THE WHOLE WORLD ABOUT IS HARMLESS AND DO NOT HAVE ANY SIDE EFFECT, BUT TO RESTORE AND GIVE YOU BACK WHAT YOU DESIRE, COS WHEN I MEET WITH THIS SPELL CASTER THAT WAS INTRODUCED TO ME BY THE WIFE OF MY BOSS IN MY WORKING PLACE, HE MADE IT CLEAR THAT HE CAN CAST SPELL ON SO MANY OTHER PROBLEMS EXCEPT IN GETTING YOUR EX OR MAKING YOUR LOVER TO LOVE YOU MORE THAT WILL SUITE YOU. Last year December, My lover was cheating on me and was not also give me the attention that a man should give to a woman, And really that was troubling my mind and tearing my heart apart to the extent that i was not concentrating in the office the way i use to before the break up by my lover.And before that incident,I always see how my boss use to love his wife so much. I was binging to think that i was not doing the right thing to him that will make him love me forever, So i really gathered my courage and went to my boss wife office to ask her the secret that made her husband love her so dearly,In the first place she refused in telling me,She asked me why i am asking her such a question,That if is it not normal for every man to love his wife.I told her the reason that made me ask her about this question, That my lover started cheating on me lately, When i knelt down before her for her to see my seriousness in this issue that i went to ask her, She opened up to me by telling me that i should not tell anybody about what she want to tell me, The wife to my boss started to say to me that she used a very powerful spell on his husband to love her, And the spell that she used is harmless, But the spell is just to make him love her and never to look for any other woman except her. I QUICKLY ASK HER HOW DID SHE GET TO KNOW THIS GREAT, POWER, DURABLE AND PERFECT WORK SPELL CASTER, she said that a friend of hers also introduce her to him. Then i also ask her how i can meet with this spell caster. SHE SAID EVERYTHING TO ME, THAT THE NAME OF THIS SPELL CASTER IS DR.WILLIAMS UMORU. My next question to her was how can i get this wonderful spell caster, She said she is going to give me the email of the spell caster for me to contact him for my problem, really she gave to me this spell caster email and i contacted him and explained all to him, And after every thing that needed to be done by the spell caster, In the next three days, My lover that hated me so much came to my house begging for forgiveness and i was so glad that i have finally gotten my heart desire..I was so grateful to this spell caster for what he has done for my life.. So i made a promise to him that i will always continue telling the world about his wonderful work towards me and also to other that came to you before and also the people that will also get to you from my story that i narrated online now..I will want to say to the entire world that you should not cry over noting again, That there is a great man that has been helping individuals to restore there Joy and smile !! The direct email to get to dr Williams is : {} ,This is what i want to tell you all for more enlistment contact me with this email he is so powerful and helpful.....

Guest Avatar
james 25th November, 2013 @ 13:59

An amazing testimony on a spell caster who brought my wife back to me.. My name is james i live in Australia,and I`m happily married to a lovely and caring wife,with two kids A very big problem occurred in my family seven months ago,between me and my wife so terrible that she took the case to court for a divorce she said that she never wanted to stay with me again,and that she did not love me anymore So she packed out of my house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get her back,after much begging,but all to no avail and she confirmed it that she has made her decision,and she never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my wife So i explained every thing to her,so she told me that the only way i can get my wife back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for her too So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow her advice. Then she gave me the email address of the spell caster whom she visited.{ideshispelltemple@outlook .com}. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address she gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my wife back the next day what an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me,and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my wife who did not call me for the past seven {5}months,gave me a call to inform me that she was coming back So Amazing!! So that was how she came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and she apologized for her mistake,and for the pain she caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster . So, i will advice you out there to kindly visit the same website {},if you are in any condition like this,or you have any problem related to "bringing your ex back. So thanks to the ideshispelltemple for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again.{ideshispelltemple@outlook.c om}

Guest Avatar
Ella 26th November, 2013 @ 22:25

Falling in love with derrick was the sweetest thing to ever happen to me i meet him when i was 23 and we had been together for 5 years so when he left me it was like me whole life was ending i looked for solution every but could not find one i even almost killed my self when i found out that he already started seeing someone else.
I confronted this particular lady on one occasion and told her derrick is mine and i will do anything to have him back even offered her money but she refused funny enough she is 10 years older than derrick so i suspected a foul play and cant just imagine myself loosing the love of my life to an older woman so i continue the search for solution.
It was about 8 month since derrick stopped talking to me and one day a saw a post online about a spell caster (dr ekuku) had no option i had to try and see if i would work which i did behold at after 48hour my man showed up at my house with flower and wanted to start apologizing i just told him to forget and told him i am happy to have him back because dr ekuku already told me he was under a spell.
I am happy to say my man has been with me now for 6 month and we have been living happily and am also 3 months pregnant now.
Once again thank you sir for making me happy and also here are is contact because i know there are many people like me especially women who need help fixing their relationship and phone: +2348111957679
Thank you all.

Guest Avatar
Brandy 30th November, 2013 @ 20:37

My mouth is full of testimonies, Am BRANDY my husband left the home for three years to SPAIN for a tourist, where he meant this lady and he was bewitch by the girl my husband refuse to come back home again, i cry day and night looking for who to help me, i read a news paper about a powerful spell caster called DR UBA and i contacted the spell caster to help me get my lover back to me and he ask me not to worry about it that the gods we fight for me.. He told me by mid-night when all the spirit is at rest he will cast a spell to reunite my lover back to me. and he did in less than 2 days my husband came back to me and started crying that i should for forgive him, i am so happy for what this spell caster did for me and my husband.. DR UBA if you need any help you can contact him with this email address ubaspelltemple@gmail. com

Guest Avatar
mrs confort 30th November, 2013 @ 22:31

My Name is mary h.I will love to share my testimony to all the people in
the forum cos i never thought i will have my boyfriend back and he means so
much to me..The boy want to get marry to left me 4 weeks to our wedding for
another woman..,When i called him he never picked my calls,he deleted me on
his facebook and he changed his facebook status from married to
Single...when i went to his place of work he told his boss he never want to
see me..I lost my job as a result of this cos i cant get myself anymore,my
life was upside down and everything did not go smooth with my life...I
tried all i could do to have her back to all did not work out until i met a
Man when i Travel to Africa to execute some business have been developing
some years back..I told him my problem and all have passed through in
getting her back and how i lost my job...he told me he gonna help me...i
don't believe that in the first place.but he swore he will help me out and
he told me the reason why my boyfriend left me and also told me some hidden
secrets.i was amazed when i heard that from him..he said he will cast
prayer for me and i will see the results in the next couple of days..then i
travel back to Us the following day and i called him when i got home and he
said he's busy casting those praying and he has bought all the materials
needed for the prayer,he said am gonna see positive results in the next 2
days that is Wednesday...My girlfriend called me at exactly 12:35pm on
Wednesday and apologies for all he had done ..he said,he never knew what he
was doing and his sudden behavior was not intentional and he promised not
to do that was like am dreaming when i heard that from her and
when we ended the call,i called the man and told him my boyfriend called
and he said i haven't seen anything yet... he said i will also get my job
back in 3 days time..and when its Saturday,they called me at my place of
work that i should resume working on Monday and they gonna compensate me
for the time limit have spent at home without working..My life is back into
shape,i have my girlfriend back and we are happily married now with kids
and i have my job back too.This man is really powerful..if we have up to 20
people like him in the world,the world would have been a better place..he
has also helped many of my friends to solve many problems and they are all
happy now..Am posting this to the forum for anybody that is interested in
meeting the man for help.if you are interested to contact DR okaka for your
solution now EMAIL is ( and telephone number
is +2347055979585. for any help you want him to do for you.

Guest Avatar
Drake Berry 4th December, 2013 @ 15:41

Dear friends, my name is Drake Berry from united states i had a problem with my husband 2years ago, which lead to our break up. when he broke up with me, i was not my self again, i felt so empty inside me. until a friend of mine Walt Pen told me about a spell caster who helped him in the same problem too. i email Dr SHAVAI the spell caster and i told him my problem and i did what he asked of me, to cut the long story short. before i knew what was happening my husband gave me a call and told me that he was coming back to me in just 2days and was so happy to have him back to me. we have two kids together and we are happy with our selves. thanks to priest SHAVAI for saving my relationship and for also saving others own too. continue your good work the great spell caster email address

Guest Avatar
Daniella Ridley 5th December, 2013 @ 16:49

I am really grateful to Dr Sanu for what he has done for me, the love of my life broke up with me 4 months ago and it was devastating and I can give up the whole world to have him. I really have not done a love spell or even believed in it until I saw testimonies about a genuine spell caster. I contacted Dr Sanu and told him my problem, he told me not to be nervous and that he was going to help me bring my man back to me in 48 hours after he will cast a love spell. After 48 hours I was surprised when I got a call from my man that he would love to see me and when I met him at a restaurant he knelt on his knees in public begging for me to forgive and have him back. It was something so surprising and wonderful. I was shocked but glad he could do that because he hurt me so bad back then. He was truly sorry for all the pains he caused me and said he will never leave me for anything, we are both together and even happier. We are going to celebrate this Xmas in any country of my choice just to make things up to me. Now we are together and he can’t do without me. I am so happy to Dr Sanu for bringing back my happiness to me, his love spell is so strong and is working perfectly without any negative effect. I swear with my life Dr Sanu is a man to trust and believe, you can contact him on his mail dr.sanuspiritualtemple@gmail. com

Guest Avatar
Lisa 20th December, 2013 @ 13:22

On a periodic tenancy on a month to month basis, got an email through saying landlord wishes to sell up and wants us out.

I trust this isn't legal as it's not a proper notice 21 - The landlord has given 2 months notice as dated when email sent but that's not the date my tenancy would end as that is the 28th of each month not the 16th.

On the other hand the deposit hasn't protected so am I correct in thinking a notice 21 can't be served till that is done?

Landlord wishes house on market within the next few weeks - am I within my rights to not allow agents and viewers too often?

I'm up to date with my rent and there hasn't been any issues I've caused. Landlord has failed to do structure repairs and hasn't renewed my gas safety certificate despite me asking several times for this to me done. I've been without lights since the summer now - can I claim a rent reduction at all? Thanks!

Guest Avatar
darnelle 16th January, 2014 @ 14:15

I'm on section 8 and was call to come into. Office I get there and first they pulled out papers for income I told them I get student loans and she kept asking how much and I kept telling her I didnt know then she kept saying well estimate this went on awhile Then I told her I had school that evening and I could let her know then then pulls out these lease papers for me to.sign and I'm.sitting there reading them she goes section 8 will let you know your portion there the same as your other one only its not I'm like when dix my rent go up from $415 to 485 I thought I was spose to get a letter anyway don't know why I signef it because now U found out they were suppose to give me proper notice this started.on Jan 1 and they.callef me into the office on thr 6th and then they put a notice on my door that I owe them 90 I've felt so bad cause I should have called sec 8 just never had to all that before even thougb I signed are they violating any lawS by knowingly not guiving me proper notice and I really believe its because I'm going tool scbool and getting money from somewhere why else would you go up &70 on somebodys rent that you know is not working at this time I've been here 4.years

Guest Avatar
Trevh 18th January, 2014 @ 16:25

Why don't you all pay your rent or move out, thats what you signed for. Negotiate with your landlord or letting agency.Not all landlords are ruthless. But why should a landlord invest in property Next time you sign a tenancy agreement, read the terms. First and foremost pay your rent and don't commit to a property you can't afford.

Guest Avatar
Lisa 18th January, 2014 @ 18:28

To Trevh,

My rent is fully paid up - thanks ! But landlord refusing to do repairs & attempting illegal eviction isn't on. Why should a tenant invest any money in a property when landlords won't do major repairs?!

Guest Avatar
Trevh 18th January, 2014 @ 18:54

Lisa. Landlords, whom cannot nor address repair issues is not acceptable. Have you spoke with your agent or is this a private letting. ? How long have you lived at your property ?.

Guest Avatar
Lisa 18th January, 2014 @ 19:05

Lived here 2 years.

Been in discussion - landlord failed to get a gas safety check - I paid for this.

Leaks in roof - no lighting due to this. Landlord refuses to do repairs as is trying to sell up. Leaks for 8 months.

Getting legal advice now as landlord refuses to give rent reduction. Eviction was a brief email - not legal.

He doesn't.deserve a good tenant !!

Guest Avatar
Lisa 18th January, 2014 @ 19:06

It's a private let btw

Guest Avatar
Trevh 18th January, 2014 @ 19:27

Are you through an Agent Lisa ?

Guest Avatar
Lisa's 18th January, 2014 @ 21:08

No it's a private let - direct with landlord

Guest Avatar
dave 3rd February, 2014 @ 04:08

i rented a one bedroom bill sinclusive and I have been consistent with my rent.The agent entered my room without my consent , I realised money was missing in my room at that point and at some point the agent used my name as the person responsible for the water bill, so the bills was coming in my name to the extent of threat of adding to my credit history. I approached the agent and he resisted and gave me quit notice because I approached him. he served me sec8 and lied that I play music loud in the house. it is now a new month and he is asking me for rent. should I still pay rent after the quit notice till I get a new place?

Guest Avatar
Freddy 5th February, 2014 @ 16:09

Dear Armin,

I refer to your post on the 20th of July 2012 (number 88); the post where you claim 'You spammers have no shame and your command of the English language is execrable.'

Just to remind you my friend, advise is the verb and advice is the noun.
'My advice to you is….'

Have a nice day my friend.

Guest Avatar
Dave B 24th February, 2014 @ 12:34

I was served with a Notice to Quit in December 2011, I moved out in February 2012 and sent a letter to the council saying that I had done so. I have now just received a Claim Form from the Court saying that I owe rent to the Council for March and April of 2012. If you are served with a Notice to Quit and then move out, can the council then claim rent after this period like this?

I would really appreciate any comments. I was served with a Notice to Quit not because I didnt pay my rent (this was all up to date) it was because I didn't let the gas man in as I wasn't in at the time!

many thanks

Guest Avatar
jcherry 28th February, 2014 @ 08:25

Getting impatient and need some help please ? Here goes my man of a year has two little boys 3 and 4 he has been telling his ex girlfriend their mother to pack and get out .OK for years not funny anymore she is abusive to the boys she just needs to go we are from here in Oregon and really could use some adive

Guest Avatar
Joyce 5th March, 2014 @ 20:27

Hi everyone, I do hope my post gets read and hopefully helps somebody along the line.i will never forget the help Dr Papa temple render to me in my marital life. i have been married for 4 years now and my husband and i love each other very dearly . after 3 years of our marriage my husband suddenly change he was having an affair with a lady outside,i notice it then i was praying for divine intervention the thing became more serious i told my pastor about it we prayed but nothing happen. my husband just came home one day he pick up his things and left me and the kids to his mistress outside at this time i was confuse not knowing what to do again because i have lost my husband and my marriage too. i was just checking my mails in the office when i saw someone sharing her testimony on how Dr Papa temple help her out with her marital problems so i contacted the email of Dr papa i told him my problem and i was told to be calm that i have come to the right place that i should fill some information concerning my self i did after 30 minus he called me again congratulating me that my problems will be solve within 48 hours. he told me what went wrong with my husband and how it happen.that they will restored my marriage but i will make a free donation to their Papa home anything my heart told me. to my greatest surprise my husband came to my office begging me on his knees that i should find a place in my heart to forgive him i quickly ask him up that i have forgiven him.friends your case is not too hard why don't you give Dr papa a try they work surprises because i know they will also bring back your husband. contact him via

Guest Avatar
susan martin 8th March, 2014 @ 07:40

Hello every one,i have a true life testimony to share in regards to how my beloved husband broke up and left me with two kids and started dating another woman,i have really been through hell in search for some one who could give me advice on how to get him back but all suggestion's and advice i got from my friends did not work and even i have tried to talk to my husbands parents he was so sturborn and never listened to them and all this make things worse until i was in a very busy shop here in new york when i heard a voice and i turned and i saw my cousin sister whom i have not seen for more than one year we then talked and she ask me how was my husband and behold i just remembered and i burst out of tears,she hold me and ask if anything is wrong, i then narrated the whole story to her and she then refered me to a powerful spell caster called Priest sunny and she gave me the email and instructed i should try him that Priest sunny have also helped her when she had similar issue, so i believed and gave it a try and priest sunny made it clear that my husband was under a spell and glory be to God that after performing all necessary things my husband quarreled with her and just in two days he came looking for me and today we are happy and together as one family once more again. Thanks priest sunny, and if you are also passing through this please i advice you to reach him on his personal email;
Name;susan martin.
country;usa,new york.

Guest Avatar
Julie 10th March, 2014 @ 00:17

Well, today Jim asked me if we could be back together this morning. Of course I said yes. Thanks to you priestess Munak, thanks to the spirits, thank you God. I cannot thank you enough priestess for bringing him back into my life. I didn’t think it was never gonna be possible possible after all i did to him, I had lost my hope and most of any little faith that I had to begin with, but thanks to you, I have my love and my life back. Thank you. God bless you many many times over for all the help you give to people, you have a beautiful gift to humanity, priestess email is priestessmunak@ gmail. com. contact her on relationship or life issues.

Guest Avatar
Kelly rushton 11th March, 2014 @ 15:54

Can't any one help me I'm livening in a rented house with 2 kids I fell behid with my rent I own my landlord 2000 paid but got it down to 500 my landlord keep texting me everyday asking for the money I'm tryin my best to get it paid as fast as I can my landlord as nw sent me a text saying this is ur 14 days note to leve the house can he do that by text thanks

Guest Avatar
Lisasc 9th June, 2014 @ 02:07

We got 2 weeks notice mid Nov 13 that our lease ends on Nov 30; we thought it was a 12 month lease and should of ended Dec 31, 2013. We were unfortunate to have lost the last 2-3 pages of our lease which showed the date it ended. That date didn't seem to be on any of the other many papers. We are on the Sec 8 voucher pro... but she, propm, told us we couldn't stay any added days the next month if we needed to. We had to 2 weeks to vacate and so we had to go to a cheap motel for 3 weeks. We wanted to transfer our voucher to a bigger city but our cold as ice, uncaring, unhelpful Sec8 cw always seemed to have 1 more paper she insisted us signing before she would send our voucher papers. We ended up not relocating. We didn't have enough money to stay in the cheap motel room $160 wk for the entire month. It being the middle of winter making it harder to look for an apartment we got desparate and applied for this dump we've lived in since a few days before last Christmas (5.5 mos). We've been miserable and all kinds of problems with noisy neighbors who constantly at any hour of the day or night put a stick in the front door. Found out about 2 men not on the lease living with their girl friend, one has a key now. The other asked me for $2 then $5 so he could go get himself a key made. Him catching me unawares I gave him $5 that I know I needed. Two days later I saw him in the hw; he wasn't even going to speak to me. 2bcontinued in a minute.

Guest Avatar
Geoff 24th June, 2014 @ 06:35

I often think tenants conveniently forget who actually owns the property they live in and the fact they pay a rent entitles them to abuse the building in any way they see fit. The landlord in most cases has commited himself to a morgage or bought the property outright and therefore must have a return on his investment.
Despite a list of rules and conditions agreed with the tenant from the start of a SHTA many tenants appear to think that they can break the rules, abuse the property and the landlord should do nothing. I have recently had a case where the tenant had disposed of items of furniture that were on the original inventory and left the house in a state .. Their reaction was that of total surprise when I informed them they had lost their bond to cover the missing items and to return the property to the original standard. People like this deserve to be issued with Notice to leave immediately. They fully expect the landlord to finance the trail of devastation they leave!

Guest Avatar
Muhammad Butt 22nd July, 2014 @ 20:06


I have a big tie problem for me.

I am runing one house of my uncle in which there are 4 bedrooms and each room is given to individual. One of the tenant is not paying me the rent and is not leaving too. We have no agreement signed as well. No one in the house is happy with him, i even changed the door lock but he managed to come in.

Police told me to send him the section 8 letter, and i just started looking for what it is.

I just can not afford him to live there longer as he already owe me 12 days rent and he is still living there and threatning to bring his boys into it.

I do not know after how many days of giving section 8 form i have to go to court for this one room evacuation.

Any suggestions?

Guest Avatar
clem 12th August, 2014 @ 13:04

my name is Clem from united kingdom i had a problem with my wife sometimes ago but never knew what the problem was,i tried to asked her but she refused to tell,me what it was as time goes on i discovered she was having an affair with a friend of mine that happens to be my best friend,i was so sad that i never knew what to do next,during my search for a way out i met a friend of mine who had similar problem and introduced me to a man who helped him with his situation,on getting to the man i discovered he was a spell caster i was shocked because i have not had anything to do with a spell caster in my entire life so i tried to give this man a chance cos i never believed in spell casting as i thought it will not work for me but to my surprise i got positive results and i was able to get my wife back from him even after the spell caster did all i discovered my wife fell much more in love with me on like before so i was so happy that i never know what to do for him so i am using this opportunity to tell anyone on this blog having similar problem visit and your problems shall be solved……Good luck.

Guest Avatar
Campbell 29th August, 2014 @ 22:59

Please can some one advice me ? I live in a shared accommodation and I do not have any agreement with the landlord and I have live there since January , I never owe rent but my landlord gave me an eviction to leave the room in a week time and am always busy with work , what can I do please .

Guest Avatar
Frustrated resident 17th November, 2014 @ 18:49

Please bear with this, its a bit long winded but I'll try shorten the story.

Basically we have a house full of students living in our street intent on causing a serious nuisance late at night on several occasions. Letting agent informed, university informed, formal complaint to police and threat of prosecution under section 82, Environmental Protection Act, 1990.

Still getting noise problems but it seems the owner of the property and the letting agent seem reluctant to remove these disruptive people. It appears a Section 8 could be issued on ground 14 of the Housing Act, 1988 but its a dicretionary ground. I've also been told by someone in the letting industry, this is not enough grounds alone. I've also been told they cannot issue a section 8 until they're 6 months into the tenancy agreement. Is this true?

Can anyone offer any advice on when can and can't be done by the landlord and/or agent? I suspect the lack of action is purely for financial reasons.

Guest Avatar
Benji 18th November, 2014 @ 11:46

@Frustrated resident,

A landlord has very little power over their tenants behaviour.

Section 8 ground 14 is discretionary.

The landlord needs a lot of solid evidence the tenants are causing a nuisance. One complaint from you is nowhere near sufficient.

It is very unlikely a judge will grant the landlord possession on those grounds.

It can be served at any time.

The 6 months thing is about section 21, whereby the landlord can evict at the end of the fixed tenancy period without having to give (or prove) reason. However, as this is a student let, the tenancy agreement was probably given for 12 months so the landlord will be unable to evict under section 21 before then.

Your best route is via your local authority.

They will try to fob you off even though it is their job.

So before complaining to them do some online research all about their policies, what they can and can't do, who's job it is, keeping a diary of nuisance etc, etc.

Also look up who owns the property on land registry;

Read up on HMO's. Find out your local authority criteria (it varies) for a HMO and see if the property qualifies. Carry out a search of HMO's and find out if the property is registered.

Once you are fully armed, then book an appointment with the right person at your local authority and make a formal complaint.

Don't expect miracles.

Guest Avatar
J_London 27th January, 2015 @ 02:19

Is it a requirment of a Section 8 Notice that it HAS to be signed and dated?

i.e. Does a Section 8 Notice HAVE to be signed and dated (the bit at the end on most forms) to be deemed served/proper notice??

Sounds like a silly - but is a genuine - question (that I cant seem to find the answer to)

A definitive answer (with link) would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Guest Avatar
Chris 28th February, 2015 @ 12:04

What is the position if the owner has died and the new owners ( son or daughter) wishes to sell the property? Hence, evicting the tenant is the logical process.

What are the rights of the tenant?

Guest Avatar
Polly 17th March, 2015 @ 07:39

When my father passed away 6 years ago, my mother asked me to move into a self contained annexe while she stayed in the main part of the property, because she didn't feel she could live in the house alone. I moved in giving up my then home to my son. She has now said I have to leave. I am 65 years old and have a full time job and keep my part of the property in pristine condition. Aged 86 this is a woman who gets up at 7am and cleans windows, doors, floors 7 days a week until 1pm (5 hours a day). It's an obsession. Obviously at that age she is finding it fairly hard to keep up with this regime and expects me to take more and more responsibility for her cleaning. I'm not prepared to do that which is why she has become hostile and told me to leave. It's been a hard 6 years but I have stuck it out because I had nowhere else to go. What can I do ?

Guest Avatar
kook 18th March, 2015 @ 19:03

I find the whole system is heavily in favour of the tenants, we private landlords suffer massive financial hardship due to a minority of tenants, I have tenants that have refused to pay rent for three months, wrecking my family home and have been caught out claiming benefits and working, It will take me months to get bailiffs to remove them, and never a chance of getting the rent arrears or damage fully paid for, so how fair is that

Guest Avatar
Captain Hook 18th March, 2015 @ 21:34

It will take me months to get bailiffs to remove them, and never a chance of getting the rent arrears or damage fully paid for, so how fair is that

It ain't.

Then again, if amateur mugs like you didn't take the scumbags on in the first place, they would have nowhere else to turn to but criminals or landlords like me that factor in the extra risk.
I would carry out proper checks, create a proper tenancy, put precautions in place to stop them taking the piss and charge them at least double bubble for the privilege.

Sorry Kook, it is unfair but amateurs like you are doing pro landlords out of business.

Guest Avatar
marc h 2nd July, 2015 @ 08:31

hi is the ground 1 in section 8 still a mandatory notice, i have a tenant in my house i have issued notice to vacate, i intend to move back into my house and have lived there as my main home previously, i have since found out that also she has breached many of the conditions of the tenancy agreement ie animals in the house, putrid colour decoration in her childs room and the kitchen, not keeping the garden in a suitable condition and causing a nuisance in the locality of the house due to rowing and fighting with her non live in boyfriend and having a police car on the drive for 3 days ( this looked terrible to the nieghbours) due to allegations of violence from the boyfriend, the local council have basically told her stay put until the bailiffs knock, i simply cant wait that long i need to move in on the date i have given ( correct amount of notice ) due to relationship breakdown, any help will be appreciated

Guest Avatar
gaurav 3rd November, 2015 @ 16:22

Hi All

I am staying in 1 bhk in Uxbridge and my letting agent is Cameron’s. I was told initially that my notice period is of 2 months but I dint realise that in the agreement it says that 2 month notice period starts only before contract start date that is 26th of the month. I gave notice on 30th Oct and was expecting that 30th Dec can be my last day. But as I gave notice 4 days later my agent is saying irrespective of notice I have to pay for January rent also

My issue is that my visa is expiring end of Dec, and even if I want I cant stay more than 30th Dec and it will not be appropiate for me to pay for Jan rent. I had given my visa copy to agent before we signed the agreement and he was aware that my visa is expiring end of Dec

Can anyone please guide what legal rights do I have as I dont want to pay for Jan rent as I wont be in this country



Guest Avatar
cara 18th February, 2016 @ 18:27

I have been residing in a flat as a private tenent for 5 years now under a short assured tenency agreement and was informed last week that my landlord wishes to sell and so given a notice to quit the tenency on or before 8 weeks from the day it was served. I found another flat very quickly and told my letting agent that I could leave within 10 days. If I was to leave in 10 days I would owe them 3 days rent which of course I would be hapoy to pay when returning keys. I was shocked when the letting agent said that I could leave in 10 days fine but I wouls still be obliged to pay the rent for the full 8 weeks! Is this right or legal? Anyone know? As the letter says leave on or before the 15th April at the latest. If I leave before can they really still demand rent?

Guest Avatar
Simon Pambin 19th February, 2016 @ 09:42

Hi Cara.

I'm assuming you're still in a fixed-term agreement rather than a periodic tenancy where you can give one month's notice.

It's technically legal but the agent is being an arse and potentially not acting in the landlord's best interests. The agent wants to squeeze every last month of commission that he can, whereas from the landlord's point of view, the sooner you vacate, the sooner he can sell. Remember you have a right of "quiet enjoyment" for the full term of your tenancy, so nobody may enter the property (for viewings etc) without your permission. What's more, if you ignored the S21 and stayed on beyond 21 April, it would take months to evict you. I'd be inclined to contact the landlord directly and see what he says.

Guest Avatar
Sam 9th November, 2017 @ 12:18

I'm a landlord who unfortunately didn't set up any tenancy agreement in writing with my tenant in 1994. They have been in my property ever since and always paid the rent. For the last 10 years I have been sending them letters stating I would like the property back and for them to leave the property. They have never replied and refuse to leave the property, they continue to pay the rent. This is my only home (currently having to live with a friend) What is the process I have to go through in order to obtain my property? I don't think a section 8 is valid as there are not rent arrears and a section 21 relates to an assured short hold tenancy which I don't have, do i?

Guest Avatar
Patricia 4th December, 2017 @ 21:40

Me and my boyfriend were seriously in love for six years and we were planning to get married but one day he came to my house and told me he was no longer interested in our relationship simply because he was dating another lady who promise to buy him a car and to sponsor their wedding. And i was heart broken. So i take a bold step by contacting a spell caster who will help me bring my ex boyfriend back and in three day after i contacted him my boy friend who left me for another girl came back and start begging to take him back. Dr. Mack is powerful and great his contact.dr.mack201@gmail. com you can also contact him for help………..Patricia LA, USA

Guest Avatar
Lin Carlos 2nd March, 2018 @ 16:03

Good day everyone, I'm here to share my unexpected miracle that had happened to me through the help of Dr. Todd. I was happily married with two kids; we lived together as one because we both loved each other. All of a sudden, my husband started acting funny and started keeping late night. I took out time to know what was actually going on and realized that he was cheating on me. Later on, he told me that he cannot continue with me, I even pleaded with him but he never listened. The worst part of it was that he left me and my two kids with noting to hold on to. But there was nothing I could do to stop him or bring him back to me. I work so hard to pay the kids school fees and other responsibilities for good three years. I cry all day and night because I didn't know what to do to have my husband back to me until this fateful day I read the post from one Mrs. Victoria testifying how the great spell caster helped her to get her ex back. I just wanted to try my luck because I never believe it will work but I said let me give it a try. I contacted the great spell caster and he told me not to worry that my husband will return to me in no distance time after he must have finished casting the spell, which I will get back my husband. The unbelievable happened on Sunday when I got a call and I was so surprised to hear my husbands voice apologizing to me that he is so sorry for all his Wrong did, telling me he is coming back home to fix all the pains and hardship he brought upon me. Wow! I really appreciated the great work of Dr. Todd. I will always acknowledge your "FABULOUS WORKS" and there is nothing I could say than to tell the whole world about my miracle. So, if anyone is out there reading this post and you have similar issue like this, worry no more Dr. Todd is there for you, he can also offer any type of
help like Reuniting of marriage and relationship, Curing of genital herpes and all types of Diseases, Court Cases, Pregnancy Spell, Spiritual protection and lot's more. E-mail: manifestspellcast@gmail. com...

Guest Avatar
Benji 18th October, 2018 @ 09:30

The information about ground 1 is incorrect;

This ground can only be used if before the tenancy the Landlord had lived in the property as his / her main home.
The court has to look at all the circumstances, including hardship to the tenant or Landlord before deciding whether to make an order.

Correct wording;

Ground 1

Not later than the beginning of the tenancy the landlord gave notice in writing to the tenant that possession might be recovered on this ground or the court is of the opinion that it is just and equitable to dispense with the requirement of notice and (in either case)—

at some time before the beginning of the tenancy, the landlord who is seeking possession or, in the case of joint landlords seeking possession, at least one of them occupied the dwelling-house as his only or principal home; or

the landlord who is seeking possession or, in the case of joint landlords seeking possession, at least one of them requires the dwelling-house as [F1his, his spouse’s or his civil partner's] only or principal home and neither the landlord (or, in the case of joint landlords, any one of them) nor any other person who, as landlord, derived title under the landlord who gave the notice mentioned above acquired the reversion on the tenancy for money or money’s worth.


Please leave a Comment...

















Your personal information will *never* be sold or shared to a 3rd party. By submitting your details, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

Popular Landlord Categories