Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement

Buy A Tenancy Agreement

The information in this post applies to residential tenancies in England and Wales.

Page contents:

What is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement?

It’s a legal contract between landlord and tenant. The agreement contains the terms and conditions of a tenancy, such as the duration of the agreement and the rental amount payable by the tenant.

If your tenancy began on or after the 28th February 1997, it is likely to be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, which is the most common type of tenancy in the rental private sector. Tenancies starting before the 28th February 1997, but after 15 January 1989, are more likely to be Assured Tenancies.

The primary difference between an “Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement” and an “Assured tenancy” is the legal procedure the landlord has to take in order to regain possession of the property.

Where can I get a good one from?

They’re available in all shapes and sizes; they can vary from 2 page documents to 20, and they’re available from a wide variety of sources, especially on the Internet. Therefore it is extremely important to source your tenancy agreement contract from a reputable supplier, which specifies how the document was compiled.

A large number of suppliers, especially the ones which offer free contracts, often supply out-of-date and poorly formatted versions. They also often contain invalid clauses which aren’t enforceable by law. This commonly occurs when landlords and/or letting agents modify (i.e. add their own clauses) to existing contracts without checking if the clause(s) are enforceable by law.

It is important to note that all written tenancy agreement contracts must be “Fair” and “Clear” and not intended to mislead the tenant in any way.

It goes without saying, failing to use a properly compiled contract can be an expensive mistake.

The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements available for download on this website have been written by Stones Solicitors LLP. They are listed as a Top 200 Law Firm and is recognised by the two leading independent directories, Chambers and the Legal 500. Stones have expert solicitors specialising in landlord law. buy one of our tenancy agreements for just £4.99, and reuse it as many times as you wish.

For further information on the subject, please read our guide on how to check if your tenancy agreement is any good or not.

Buy A Tenancy Agreement

When should I use a Tenancy Agreement?

An AST should be used where a landlord is renting a property to just one person or multiple tenants (that know one another).

An AST is not suitable in all circumstances, and should not be used in the following conditions:

  • If the property receives more than 100k per year in rent (This was 25k before October 2010)
  • If the property receives very low, or no rent at all
  • If the property is a holiday home
  • If the property is let to a private limited company
  • If the property is owned by the Crown or a government department
  • If the property is being let with more than two acres of agricultural land or an agricultural tenancy

Do I need a written Tenancy Agreement?

There is currently no law which states that a tenancy cannot be formed through an oral agreement. In fact, many are (rightly or wrongly so). They can be either written or oral. However, it is strongly advised for all tenancy agreements to be written so both tenant and landlord knows exactly what the terms and conditions of the tenancy are.

With or without a written contract, from the moment a landlord and tenant agree on terms, and the tenant is permitted to enter and live in the property by the landlord, a legal tenancy is formed. The tenant will at this point be protected by their statutory, as will the landlord.

The problem is, if a dispute between landlord and tenant occurs, and there is no written proof of what was agreed upon, it becomes extremely difficult to prove either case. If everything is written in black and white, there can never be any question of what was agreed.

How do I know if I have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement?

There are several factors which will determine whether or not an Assured Shorthold Tenancy has been agreed. You will have an AST if:

  • If the tenant pays less than 100k per year in rent
  • If the tenant moved into the property on or after 28th febuary 1997
  • If the tenant is renting from a private landlord
  • If the tenant has rights to have privacy in the property where the landlord cannot enter the property without mutual agreement

How long can the contract last for?

Since the 28th of February 1989, an Assured Shorthold Tenancy can last for any duration, short or long. Before then, there was a requirement for a tenancy to be for a minimum of six months. However, while the tenancy can be as short as required, the tenant has a legal right to stay in the property for a minimum period of six months, regardless of whether the tenancy duration is for a shorter period.

If at the end of the fixed term of the tenancy is not renewed, it then becomes what is known as a Statutory Periodic Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. This means that the terms of the original tenancy agreement still apply, but the tenancy continues on the rent schedule. For example, if rent is paid on a monthly basis, then the contract will become a monthly periodic tenancy.

There’s also what is known as a Contractual Periodic Tenancy; this is when no term for the end of the let is set and the tenancy simply continues until either party decide to bring it to an end.

Regardless of which status your agreement is in (fixed term or statutory), the landlord is legally required to give two months notice to the tenant and can’t obtain possession unless the tenant has breached their terms and consequently the landlord has grounds for eviction.

Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme

All landlords and letting agents who take deposits for Assured Shorthold Tenancies in England and Wales must join a Government-authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme. This is a legal requirement, and failing to comply can lead to legal prosecution.

Within 14 days of receiving the deposit the landlord must secure and provide the tenant with details of the scheme chosen to safeguard the deposit. More details on Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme.

Buy A Tenancy Agreement

Who keeps a copy of the contract?

There is no legal legislation specifying who keeps a copy. However, it’s advised that both landlord and tenant each have their own copy of the contract, which should be signed by both parties.

It’s important that everyone keeps their own copy, as it may prove to be useful if any misunderstandings occur.

What’s in the contract?

They can range from 2 pages to more than 20, so the contents of them can drastically vary. However, the following is generally always included:

Here are just a few of the issues the contract should cover:

  • The amount of rent and deposit payable and the term of the tenancy
  • Tenant’s obligation to pay bills and council tax
  • Tenant’s obligation to keep the property and any garden in good order and repair
  • To use the property for residential purposes only
  • Not to cause nuisance or annoyance to others
  • Not to keep pets without written permission
  • Not to leave property unattended for more than 21 days without informing landlord

An agreement can be amended by adding or removing any terms as required, but all the terms and conditions must comply with the law in order for them to be enforceable. The tenancy agreement can give both the tenant and landlord more than their statutory rights, but cannot give any less.

Tenant And Landlord Basic rights

There are basic obligations a tenant and landlord must adhere to, even if they aren’t specified in the agreement, but which are given by law and are implied into all tenancy agreements. These terms form part of the contract, even though they have not been specifically agreed upon.

Some of the most common implied terms are:

  • The landlord must carry out basic repairs
  • the landlord must keep the installations for the supply of water, gas, electricity, sanitation, space heating and heating water
  • the tenant has the right to live peacefully in the accommodation without nuisance from the landlord
  • the tenant has an obligation to take proper care of the accommodation.

Changing the tenancy agreement

The terms and conditions can be amended after it has been created and agreed upon if both the landlord and tenant agree to the new conditions. The change should be recorded in writing, either by drawing up a new written document setting out the terms of the tenancy or by amending the existing written contract.

An oral agreement can also be amended. Usually the change will be oral too. In the case of a dispute, evidence of the variation can be provided if there were witnesses to the new agreement or simply by both parties acting on the variation, for example, by paying and accepting a new rent.

It’s important to be diligent when modifying a tenancy agreement. Ensure that ALL terms and conditions in the agreement are legal and enforceable by law i.e. a clause which suggests that the tenant or landlord have fewer rights than those given by common law or statute are not valid, and will not be enforceable by law.

It is always advised to seek legal advice from a professional when amending any form of legal contract.

Renewing a tenancy agreement

There are generally two common ways of renewing an existing tenancy. The good news is both processes are pretty straight forward.

  • Sign a new tenancy agreement
    The first way is to simply draft a new tenancy agreement, which takes over when the previous tenancy ends. Both landlord and tenant will need to sign the contracts again, and agree to any new terms and conditions that may have been added e.g. rent increase.
  • Allow the existing tenancy to become a periodic tenancy
    The second method is to do nothing, and allow the tenant(s) to continue their occupancy as they have been. In this instance, the tenancy will become what is known as a periodic tenancy (or “rolling tenancy”).

    All the same terms and conditions in the expiring tenancy agreement will still apply, but the only difference is that the new tenancy agreement becomes periodic. The “period” is dependent on how frequently the rent is paid. For example, if the rent is paid on a PCM (Per Calendar Month) basis, then the contract will run on a month-by-month basis. Same principle applies if the rent is paid on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

For more details on renewing tenancies, please refer to the How To Renew A Tenancy Agreement blog post.

Ending a tenancy agreement

Under the Housing Act 1988, a landlord has the legal right to repossess their property at the end of the tenancy. In order for a landlord to do this legally, they must follow the correct legal procedure, which includes serving a Section 21 notice (under section 21 of the Housing Act 1988) to the tenant.

A tenant is required by law to be given 2 months notice if the landlord wishes for them to vacate and repossess the property. Specifying the “end-date” in a tenancy agreement alone is not a valid repossession notice. A Section 21 should be served.

More details can be found on ending a tenancy agreement in the terminating tenancy agreement post, which includes all the methods available for both landlord and tenant.

Ending a tenancy agreement in the middle of the terms

In cases where both parties agree to terminating the agreement before the tenancy has ended, they can legally do so. This is called ‘surrender’. There are two ways that surrender of a tenancy can occur: by “operation of the law” or by a “declaration of surrender”.

Surrender of operation by law
This is when the tenant gives up their occupation of the property to the landlord and the landlord accepting this. This could involve the tenant handing over the property’s keys to the landlord and the landlord accepting that the agreement is over and that they now have possession.

Declaration of operation by law
This is when the tenant signs a “Declaration of Surrender”. This written document then acts as proof that the tenant has given up possession of the property to the landlord.

For a surrender to be legal, both parties must agree. It’s advised for everything that has been agreed to be written down so everyone knows where they stand. If a joint tenancy is in place, all the joint tenants and the landlord must agree to the surrender.

When a tenant has legally surrendered the tenancy, the landlord will then have the right of possession of the property under Section 5 of the Housing Act 1988. The landlord needs to end the agreement properly, before re-letting the property; otherwise the landlord could be accused of unlawful eviction.

Discrimination in tenancy agreements

The landlord must not discriminate against tenants based on race, sex, disability, sexuality or religion. It is against the law for the landlord to do any of the following:

  • rent a property to a tenant on worse terms than other tenants
  • treat the tenant differently from other tenants in the useage of facilities such as the garden
  • evict or harass the tenant because race, sex, disability, sexuality or religion
  • refuse to make reasonable changes to a term in the tenancy agreement which would allow a disabled person to live there.

Discriminating against sex, disability, sexuality or religion, generally don’t apply to live-in landlords. However, the landlord still cannot discriminate against race.

Pet Clauses in Tenancy Agreements

Most tenancy agreements will have a pet clause, which stipulates whether a tenant has been granted permission to keep a pet in the property. However, even if the tenancy agreement does state that pets are NOT permitted, the landlord can change his/her mind. In that case, the landlord should give written permission.

In the event of any damage caused by pets, the tenant will still be held liable and responsible. The security deposit can be used to cover damages caused by pets. However, just so tenants are clear about what is expected, landlords can provide a supplement Pet Clause Policy Form with the Tenancy Agreement.

Buy A Tenancy Agreement

363 Comments- join the conversation...

Showing 313 - 363 comments (out of 363)
Guest Avatar
Susan 21st April, 2013 @ 21:25

Hi I received an eviction notice from l.Lord he wants to sell house he was supposed to be in it for long term...
If BEEN offered a council house and can move quick but I can't afford the two rents but when I ask for letter from l.Lord to say I moved out he don't reply the agents told me not to deal with him but them yet he contacts me over selling and viewings for house. So now council want letter and they not cooperating what should I do?

Guest Avatar
Papil 1st May, 2013 @ 12:52

Hi everyone,

We moved out and at inventory check, we were asked if we had our carpets professionally cleaned. We did, but it wasn't steam cleaned, and the letting agent said we must because it's in the contract.

We went through the contract together, and it only says that we must leave the carpets in the same state as when we found them, and that they must be clean. Well we didn't know they were steam cleaned!

But only now have we been told that the previous tenants had it steamcleaned and that they can show us an invoice.

Do you think, under the agreement, we need to pay for steam cleaning? Or is this a grey area?

It is very clean by all means, and even the letting agent said the whole place has been cleaned impeccably.


Guest Avatar
aras1976 12th August, 2013 @ 19:27

I have given my tenants 2 months notice (actually 4 being nice) that I would not be renewing tenancy and that I will be placing the house up for sale. I am paying for full management & prior to resigning tenancy I had confirmation from management co that I would be able to market & carry out viewings in the 2 month notice period. This is what assured me to provide another 6 month tenancy. Now I am trying to access house for an agent to take pictures & management co say tenant has said no. This is part of marketing as I see it & am very upset as the management co do not seem to be working on my behalf at all. I wonder (if I can get any viewings) whether the tenants will continue to be difficult & what rights I have. Also can I make the management company responsible for any losses during this period?

Guest Avatar
Lee 8th September, 2013 @ 20:53

Hi I was just looking for some help first of I started rents private direct with a landlord at 6 months at a time. The agrement had a break clause that we could give a 28days(4 weeks) notice to leave which he confirmed with us that was back in 2008 and after the first 6 months we agreed with the landlord we would go on a rolling agreement ie not singing anymore agreements but sticking to the original but then in 2011 our landlord switched over to a agency which we had to sign the contract or be out we weren't given another options now we are looking to move and after looking over the agreements they do not state anything about us having to stay till the end of the agreement or if we can leave early. also nothing about us paying any rent left over in the agreement or fees if we were to leave early. So after all that my question can they make me stay or can I pull up the fact of the original agreement stating only one months notice has to be given.

Guest Avatar
Angela 15th September, 2013 @ 08:12

We have been renting for 6 month on a one year contract. The landlord wants to return to the property and has given us 2 months notice. We are not in a financial position to move. Is it reasonable to ask for our deposit back before we move so we have funds to put a deposit down on a new property?

Guest Avatar
Jeff 2nd November, 2013 @ 05:10

Hi guys, we have payed our bond and two weeks rent up front plus signed our tenancy agreement which has a move in date, last Wednesday, but we are still not moved in and the real estate don't know when we will be able to move in because it's a new unit and apparently the tiles had to be replaced. This is proving very frustrating for us as we have just moved to Australia from the uk and are staying with family.This is a big inconvenience to us all as we had arranged for furniture to be delivered there but now we have had to store it all in a shed at a friends place. Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest Avatar
Michael 7th November, 2013 @ 19:23

I originally signed a 6 month lease with a private landlord via an agency. In the lease was a clause advising that notice to leave needs to be given on the rent day, in this case the 15th as that is the date the tenancy started. The notice period is 30 days.
The 6 month lease ended on 15th October and at that point the tenancy moved onto a periodical monthly contract although no new agreement was signed and there was no stipulation in the original lease with regards to how the tenancy was to continue.
On the 31st October I gave 30 days notice in writing (notice was given due to relocation for work)and advised that my last day would be 30th November but I have been advised I am liable to pay rent up to the 15th December due to the 'rent day' clause. Is this a)reasonable or b)legal. How does a periodical lease work?
I look forward to the replies. Thanks in advance.

Guest Avatar
Nicole 13th November, 2013 @ 14:37

I need some advice. I'm currently trying to get out of a contract. I signed an assured shorthold tenancy agreement, as I was attending university. It was with a private accommodation company.
I've dropped out of my course and now need to get out of this contract. These contracts seem very difficult to get out of.
In the contract, it said that if the student no longer was a student, then it was up to the company to decide whether they would terminate the contract. Obviously, they haven't done this.
Basically, I need to find some loopholes in the contract. What lawyers specifically deal with this sort of thing, read over the contract?
Do you have any recommendations?

Guest Avatar
Paul 15th November, 2013 @ 09:12


I am on AST for 12 months with 5 months past already. Since I moved in I have issues with boiler. Before signing agreement I was promised kitchen floor change and was told that property has valid gas safety certificate and boiler was just inspected. The boiler does not give warm water therefore even though property has 2 showers that can't be used as water temp keeps changing from very hot to cold and so on. The property has maintenance contract with British Gas. When BGas engineer was called, he said that boiler is obsolete and is not worth fixing it - he recommended changing it. I passed details of his inspection to the letting agent and of course they didn't agree with this opinion, they sent their own engineer and according to him boiler works fine. When asked for explanation why there is no warm water his answer was "i don't really know but the boiler is working as expected". Five months passed and after numerous complaints to letting agent and landlord none of reported issues in property were solved and promises made before signing agreement appeared to be true. The property didn't have gas safety certificate, now it has issued by their engineer (he made apparently inspection during his visit without even going to the loft checking flue). Still floor is not changed and still don't have any proof of boiler inspection or gas safety certificate. I asked for it many times to determine whether was true or not what I was told - still haven't received anything. I said that I want to move out from the property earlier because of these issues and other personal ones. The property was advertised but I was told I can't move out until they find new tenant. It is already 2 months advertised with no viewings at all (for me they don't care then because they have paying tenant especially that other properties of the same size in area were let out at that time). Now for questions about issues reported I get answer 'why do i care if i am moving out'. I wanted to know if above described issues can be reason to terminate agreement early without being liable for rent to the end of tenancy since it appears nothing what was told to me (floor change, boiler inspection, gas certificate) is true and the letting agent don't see any problem with the boiler. I told them to come and check themselves, they do not bother. They didn't even come for their 3 months property check. Any advise would be appreciated.


Guest Avatar
bob 23rd January, 2014 @ 21:44

I'm 3 months into a 12 month AST agreement. It contains a break clause in which i can put 2 month notice in at anytime from the 4th month. So earliest i could leave is the 6th month.

I have noticed there is a section titled deed of surrender. It goes on to mention if the tenant breaks the agreement early then they are liable to pay 7% of the monthly rental amount for the remaining term plus VAT.

I have asked the landlord if i can leave early, (before the 4th month) exercising the deed of surrender and he has said i'm required to pay rent till the 6th month. So in other words said no.

He has said i can put 2 months notice in on the 4th month and leave on the 6th. Which is fine. However he has also said that we must pay 50% of the charges the agency charge him for putting us in the property.

We said we cannot see this in the agrrement and all we can see is the 7% under the deed of surrender, his reply is: thats what the charge is.

My question is: If i exercise the break clause does this bring the deed of surrender into play aswell? Or is the deed of surrender in case you need to leave before the 4th month or are unable to stay for the 2 months notice?

Thank you for your patience.

Guest Avatar
AML 27th January, 2014 @ 11:28


Does anyone know what a letting agent's legal obligations are with regards to explaining tenancy amendment procedures?

I'm living in a flat with a friend and asked my letting agent what the procedure and fees would be if I were to move out and find a replacement. They pointed me in the direction of my AST (where the fees for tenancy amendments are detailed). They led me to believe that it was a simple case of paying them and giving them the details of the new person. They said that once I had a date for the amendments to take place they would contact my landlord for 'formal confirmation'. As it turns out my landlord has not agreed to the amendment, and I now have to pay the rest of the rent (3 months left of current tenancy agreement) even though I'm moving out. If my letting agents had told my that legally the landlord has to agree, I would have requested permission before arranging to move out! I am making a complaint to the letting agent, but I don't know if legally they were obliged to give me more info and explain the process correctly and in full?

Guest Avatar
julien 10th February, 2014 @ 20:43

I've a 2 bed flat with 3 young professional sharers( 1 uses the lounge as a bedroom) - I am trying to remortgage but having 3 names on the assured shorthold tenancy agreement seems to be putting some companies off (The Coventry and The Skipton BS) the sharers know each other and the rent is paid from one account
Am I best getting 2 sharers when their agreement is up next month will should most lenders only be worried about the rent covering 125% of the interest only mortgage rate?

thank you

Guest Avatar
naz 20th February, 2014 @ 22:30

Hi a friend of mine has been renting the same property since 1978. His landlord has now moved into the same building occupying one of the vacant flats in the buiding. Can anyone tell me what my friends tenancy is now recognised as. Before the landlord moven myd wasas a regulated tenant. Has this now.changed. My friend does not share any living space with his landlord.
Would appreciate some clarification.

Guest Avatar
Heath 21st February, 2014 @ 16:22

Can any body let me know what the longest lease is you can have on a private rented property and what it's called

Guest Avatar
somi 22nd February, 2014 @ 16:14

hi i am renting my house from private land lord its long term tenancy ending 2015 .my land lord got bank curropt .he remortgage house not paid his mortgage i am upto date rent paying .ive received notice of eviction from building society got 4 children .cant find any other accomodation in 3 weeks havent got money for deposit n agent fees can someone help whats my position land lord is happy with me but bank is taking over property ?

Guest Avatar
Benji 22nd February, 2014 @ 17:58


Do you have a right to stay

If your landlord falls behind with their mortgage payments, their mortgage lender could take them to court to get possession of the property. This will usually give them permission to evict anyone who lives there, including tenants.

In most cases, if the mortgage lender has been granted a possession order, you will have no right to stay in your home.

You may however, have some rights if your tenancy is binding on the landlord's mortgage lender. Your tenancy may be binding if:

the landlord’s lender agreed to the tenancy, or
you were living in the property when your landlord’s mortgage was granted, or
the landlord's lender has recognised your tenancy in some way, for example, by asking you to pay them rent.
If your tenancy is not binding on the landlord's mortgage lender, you can apply to delay possession of your home by up to two months. This could give you more time to find a new place to live.

If you think your tenancy may be binding on your landlord's mortgage lender, or you need help to try and delay the repossession of your home, you should get advice. You can get advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau.

Guest Avatar
somi 22nd February, 2014 @ 21:06

Thank you so much for your kind response it has really helped me to clear my position I really appreciate this now I can act accordingly and find some help from CAB .Thanksss a million :)

Guest Avatar
Lisa 28th February, 2014 @ 15:58

can someone give me advice!

i have lived in my private let for a few years and only signed a contract at the start(6 months)i am currently trying to move as i sleep in my living room and my kids have the 2 bedrooms, it was a short assured tenancy. my letting agency said i need to give two months notice even though i haven't signed another contract as it rolls on to a 2 months lease.

i would appreciate the help.

Guest Avatar
STEPHEN 2nd March, 2014 @ 16:09

I have rented my flat out on a 12 month shorthold tenancy but want to try and re-occupy before the full 12 months expire as I really need to live there now due to change of personal circumstances . Is there an exception allowing for 2 months notice to the tenant after the first six months has lapsed? She is a good tenant and no ASB etc.

Guest Avatar
Mr Smith 4th March, 2014 @ 23:00

Hello I have received a council tax summons (for the whole of 2014 at my life long address where i have lived for over 20 years saying I own 1 years council tax as some agents have said to the council, I have never heard of
and the property I havn't even stepped foot in actually i have never even been near that property
bailiffs are on hold until an investigation is being done by the council
its stressing me out a lot
what advice can you give thank you

Guest Avatar
ashley 8th April, 2014 @ 12:46

I have a joint tenancy with my sister but when I entered into an assured shorthold tenancy agreement to rent out our flat I only put in my name as the landlord. This was because my sister is pregnant and wanted me to manage the whole tenant process. Is the contract still valid just with me name on it?

Guest Avatar
Bonnie Londime 25th April, 2014 @ 13:22

My tenant signed a tenancy agreement in 1992 with the landlord. In 2007 he surrendered the tenancy when I bought the house. The next day, I entered into a new agreement with the same tenant. Now I have been told that he is a sitting tenant since he moved into the property in 1992 and I can not prove that section 20 was served on to him when he first moved in in 1992. Is this legally true?

Guest Avatar
EJ Tedds 7th May, 2014 @ 16:10

Please advise….

My current tenant is on a 12 month contract, expires in August, in this time they have never looked after the garden so it looks a eyesore, plus I have now found out they have gone back to France for 2 months. Are they allowed to do this?? I am not keen on the property being left unoccupied for this amount of time. Surely this is breaking the terms of the agreement. They do not reply to any messages/calls from me or the agent. Am I allowed to check on my property inside whilst they are not there?? It is let on a fully furnished basis as this is my home and I will be moving back into in August so you can see why I want to protect my investment.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Guest Avatar
sarah 14th May, 2014 @ 19:28

i am a tenant and rent a house through a letting agency, the property has a room at the front which is a shop front and i was running a business but have stopped that now, the landlord knew about it and said she didn't mind and i registered as a ltd the only thing i didn't do was ask the council to change the property from residential to commercial, now i want to move in a few months and wander could i let the room out to a business and then when i move allow them to apply for the tenancy of the house from the letting agency? or would i be breaking the law? i just want to get enough money from it so i can move

Guest Avatar
michel 18th May, 2014 @ 03:05

Would you please like to help, me and my husband is renting a private house. In the beginning we were not told that the house was up for sale, before we were sitting with the contract to sign, and no other home to return to.
The agent said that he's been trying to sell without any success, and that he didn't think, that it could be sold. It's close to a main road, and we later found out by rejected surveys from interested buyers, that it's a crack through the wall, and that the house is moving too, by the traffic.

He's been trying to sell this house for eighteen months, with all the hassle it's been for us. With directly rude and non respecting agents, of privacy and peaceful enjoyment, where we were directly told, by the agent, that they could enforce entry, without permission. Of course we put our boundaries down, and ll said he agreed with us. Only to try and help the agents to push the topic. It stopped a while and started again.

The landlord promised us a new contract for another year to be signed in January. It's not happened, but we were told by the former agency that fixed us the house, that we were on a rolling one. Like a assured short hold tenancy. When we had agreed to sign a full year. Can he do that to us without our consent, change it like this? It might not look like the big difference, but that's what's agreed. He further again promised us to sign after he comes back from CHINA. In July or something! We've been promised several times since January and several times he's lied.

Now he wants the new agent to sell the house. The landlords promised to us that he's only interested in selling the house to investors, due to he wants a higher price. That's what former agents said as well.

The ll promised not to put a sell sign outside the house due to the fact. It's what the new agents done. Now we're getting really unsure, whether the landlords lied to us all the time about investors only.

Now we've already got a call about a viewing, and the sign post was put up yesterday, and yesterday we were told, that he's having a new agent, because the other agent couldn't sell the house. There was a buyer, that made sure he would buy the house, for sure. But, he backed out. After the survey. It's highly likely it was the cracks. I wonder, if the ll will try to dry it on us. But it's coming from the outside in. It's the road.

So now the new agents asked to take pictures as well. There already lays pictures, because we saw them, before we moved in. Is it really necessary to take new pictures?
Can we refuse have inside pictures taken?
This is quite traumatic for me, being from another country, where something like pictures and this tenant system doesn't exist. And I'm a very private person.

We have a feeling, that they're gonna push us hard. And we have circumstances and things we can't just move around either, that might not fall in their taste as clutter free. And, I suffer illness as well.
What are the rules in uk for letting agents and viewers in in our situation?

In the middle of the winter our boiler that was over thirty years old broke down. We had to wait over a month to get it fixed, with some helpfulness from an environment health officer. The ll tried to wiggle himself out of that too at first. He's been otherwise doing, what he should've - kinda. But he keeps prolonging things more now, and the house hasnt been looked after, at all. We had to enforce gas/elec/boiler check as well. Actually!now when thinking about it. The stove hasn't been checked. And we saw no papers of either that or the boiler, when we moved in.

We're now looking to find somewhere else to live. My health can't take all this. And we don't trust him anymore. What do you say it sounds like? And what's your advice?

Thank you so very much, for your time and effort. We don't really know what to do, and we're desperate.

Guest Avatar
Laura Howes 25th May, 2014 @ 10:07

I signed an ast for this June 2014, haven't even moved in yet but I have been diagnosed bipolar, I haven't got a job anymore and finding even dady to day living impossible. Asked landlord to surrender, no dice. They want all the rent for the year plus deposit. I don't know what to do, please help me

Guest Avatar
Jeanette 27th May, 2014 @ 06:05

I am a regulated tenant ,the tenancy is in my friend has been living with me for the past 16 years.If something happened to me where would she stand?

Guest Avatar
Louise 28th May, 2014 @ 20:57

I used to live with my boyfriend but we split up and he removed my name from the original tenancy agreement. He has now moved out am i entitled to the half of the deposit i paid at the beginning?

Guest Avatar
Nicky 12th June, 2014 @ 11:30

I am renting as part of a houseshare with two other people. We signed a 12mnth fixed-term contract 12 March 2014 with a 6mnth break clause where landlord/tenants are required to give 2mnths notice to end the tenancy after 6mnths. So technically, we cannot serve notice until 12 July, with the 6mth mark being 12 September.

However, one of my housemates now wants/needs to move out at the end of July (which only takes us just over the 4mnth mark). We don't want to end the tenancy in its entirety and have someone who can replace him.

The agreement does not mention being able (or unable) to make a change on one of the three named tenants on the agreement.

Prior to March we were on a periodic tenancy basis and previous tenants were swapped in and out (as I was), so the landlord has been open to this in the past.

Contractually or by agreement with the landlord:
1. Can we swap one named tenant for another during the term of the contract (before or at 6mnth break clause)?

2. Will the outgoing tenant still be liable for rent until the full 6mnths has passed regardless of whether there is someone to replace them? Or indeed will myself and the remaining named tenant be liable for their part? (we pay the rent to the landlord as one sum from a joint account).


Guest Avatar
stacey 14th June, 2014 @ 09:08

hi me and my partner r moving into our first flat soon our landlord sorted the tenancy agreement out on line which he did wednesday but he wont let us move in untill signed does anybidy know how long it takes for it to come tgrough post thanks x

Guest Avatar
shes a pain 1st August, 2014 @ 12:57

I've been renting a property for over 2 years with another girl and we signed a joint agreement for 6 mths and then its been going on a rolling monthly agreement where we did not sign another agreement so either person has a mths notice to give to the landlord.

I've been having a number of problems with my flatmate and really want her to leave but I don't think I can ask her. Would I have to ask my landlord to ask her to leave ? She's very sneaky and someone I can't trust and there's so much tension in the flat now. She brings random men over and at times leaves them in the flat on their own. She very rarely cleans unless I tell her too. Ive been warned by a number of individuals that she can't be trusted so i need to find out how I can get her to leave.

Guest Avatar
Lucy 27th August, 2014 @ 08:33

I have come to the end of a contract between 2 people for 12 months. The person i used to live with moved out months ago. I haven't moved out...can I continue living in the place after end of contract? Will i need to pay the other persons deposit? Can I be kicked out?

Guest Avatar
matt hunt 30th August, 2014 @ 08:44

Hi. Can someone help me and clarify the following?
I have a tenant on a six month AST. In the contract, provided by a letting agent, it states, "If the tenant intends to vacate the property at the end of the tenancy he must give at lease five weeks notice to the landlord in writing to expire the day before the rent is due date." This point I highlighted to the tenant six weeks before the end,via email which he acknowledged receipt of. However, he has just given me notice, one week before the six months is up, that he is leaving stating that as he did not ask to stay beyond the six month duration the contract ends at the end of the sixth month. Is this right? I thought if he didnt give notice (clearly presented in the contract) that it would run into a periodic contract. In this case with his one weeks notice, he would have to pay for the following month.
Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Guest Avatar
Benji 31st August, 2014 @ 08:54

Yep, he is right.
Dirty trick to pull though.
I expect you'll remember it if he ever needs a reference.
If he goes one day over however, it becomes periodic and a different ball game.

Guest Avatar
matt hunt 31st August, 2014 @ 09:13

Thanks Benji. Seems a waste of time having a notice period in the contract then! I live and I learn.

Guest Avatar
Suzy 1st September, 2014 @ 15:59

I am in a flatshare with 2 others and am leaving (they are staying). For the past 4.5 years since I moved in, when people leave before tenancy is up they do a tenant swap.

I gave my notice that I was leaving on 28 July, stating my final day in the property would be 20 September. I have now paid rent up until 30 September. I have found someone to take my place and they were in the process of passing reference checks when our landlord informed the letting agent that they would not be continuing the tenancy after it expires in December. This means that the person I have found to fill the room does not want it any more, and I am not convinced I will be able to fill it given that the tenancy expires so soon.

Am I liable to pay rent for a room I am not occupying given that I did find someone to fill the room, and also gave the necessary 2 months' notice saying I was leaving?

Many thanks

Guest Avatar
Becka 30th October, 2014 @ 21:19


I'm desperate for further advise.
I live in a house share with 2 others on a 12month AST agreement. We moved into the property on the 13th September 2014. But there have been numerous clauses breached in the contract and numerous problems by the Landlord. One in particular not giving us the information required about the Tenancy Deposit Scheme used and also a copy of a signed certificate as proof that our deposits are protected. When we asked him for this he said "I will chase them up". It has been over 56 days since he received the deposit from me. His dad lets himself in nearly every week without prior notice and walks around the house. The first thing that rang alarm bells for me (which I should have realised sooner) was when the landlord asked us to contact the estate agents who we organised the house viewing with and tell them we are no longer interested in the house, and to sign with the landlord instead. This was because the house we liked was 4 bedroomed (even though it is listed as a three bedroom because the 4th is tiny and inadequate) he would be losing out on money, and so he asked us to do this so he didn't have to pay the agents their fee's.
We do not have any contact details for our landlord apart from his mobile number which will not let us just beeps and cuts us off.
Blatant harassment for rent money. We have done the mistake by with-holding the first rent payment, we know we don't have a right to do this but we felt uncomfortable paying him until we had the information about the TDS, eventually we felt we had no choice but to pay him the rent. £1300 from my friend (full-time student), £1000 from myself (just managed to secure a part-time minimum wage job!) and £325 from my other housemate (on benefits, currently looking for a job). Landlord agreed on these amounts although it is supposed to be £1300 each three times over the contract term (so its 4 months in advance) saying once this has been paid he will come to the property to have a chat about who can pay what- we are still waiting, nothing has happened yet. He did no kind of background check on us. He has numerous company names and our house is advertised cheaper elsewhere than what we are paying! He also likes to go away on holiday and at the moment he has just bought himself a flash Motor home (only know this because he is bragging on open profile Facebook) and going to France, Spain, Portugal and Morocco just before Christmas. So he is abroad as we speak. All of this has happened, by the way, within DAYS of us paying him all of that money- and even when he asked for that money he was abroad, we know this because of my housemates phone bill which he got charged for taking the landlords call. When speaking to a friend of mine who is an ex police officer he looked into the contract and a few of the problems and he found that the landlords company may not be a registered company at all. We have spoken to citizens advice and they basically told us what we already know. We also seeked help from a solicitor who overlooked the contract and the problems and said that there are a lot of grey areas in the contract. I also wrote up a notice to quit letter for the landlord which is signed by all 3 tenants. We also showed this to the solicitor and he advised that there is no harm in serving this letter to him and if there are any further problems or if the landlord wishes to discuss matters further then he can contact the solicitor (but we would obviously have to pay, which we don't mind). To cut a long story short everyone we have spoken to (either professional or knows a lot about the subject and its laws/legislations) have said that there is something dodgy going on. Other than withholding rent (which we ended up paying substantial amounts of money to him in the end) there have been no problems from ourselves.

Together we have found 5 clauses he has breached within the contract.

Basically we want out. I have mental health problems and where I am living at the moment I am very limited to the help I can get. Whereas where I am wanting to move to, I can get as much help as possible that I need. (I also still have all of my doctors and therapists letters, so if the landlord thinks I'm bluffing, I am not ashamed to show him these). I am going out of my mind with stress and I hate it here, I am miserable and almost crying all of the time, the whole situation is dragging me down. Another housemate suffer anxiety which the situation isn't helping with his university studies either.

What do I do if the landlord doesn't agree to the notice to quit?
I believe we are going the right way about things, as we could have just packed our stuff and moved out, although we would be still liable to pay our rent, which we don't want. We want to leave on amicable terms with no disputes and as quietly as possible with no repercussions on ourselves.

Sorry about all of this being long-winded.

Thanks for your time...I'm hoping someone can help.

Guest Avatar
Robert Davis 16th November, 2014 @ 22:46

I have recently signed and paid my deposit & rent in advance on 13/11/2014 to move into a property on the 29/11/2014. I am currently living with my parents and I decided to move out on my own. My Mother is ill now and I want to cancel moving out.

Can you tell me if I can cancel at this stage or what are my options?

Robert Davis

Guest Avatar
Robert Davis 16th November, 2014 @ 22:48

Oh I forgot to mention it is a AST Agreement

Guest Avatar
Simon 9th January, 2015 @ 16:49

My student daughter started an AST on 1/July/14, although the AST on her old rooms didn't expire til 31/Aug. She paid half-rent on the new property for July & Aug because she was not allowed access and was not given keys until 1/Sept (although this was not in the contract, only advised by email from agent).
She has now had a council tax bill for July & Aug on the old property because "she was not entitled to exemption on two properties simultaneously".

Is there anything she can do?

Guest Avatar
Abbey 9th January, 2015 @ 22:28

We have had a twelve month fixed term tenancy agreement. This is due for renewal on in mid feb. We went thru an agent who matched us with the landlady who owns the property we rent from. The agent does not manage the property as we pay the landlord direct but deposit is in the Tds scheme. From this the agent has emailed and said did we want to renewal there is no cost our side to renew bit there is a cost for the landlady she has said she wants to renew but not with agent as they do not manage the property. Can this be done direct with her with no comeback on

Guest Avatar
Karen 1st February, 2015 @ 13:31

My partner and I are coming to the end of a 12 month fixed term short hold tenancy. The letting agent has contacted us by letter, expecting us, if we want to stay on at the property to re-sign for another 12 months, paying a fee of 25% of rent + vat, and to go through the referencing process again, despite there being no problems with the tenancy at all. There is a possibility we could be relocating in the next 6 months with work,so want to go onto a rolling tenancy, can we do that legally, can the letting agent insist on another 12 month contract and be awkward and try to get the landlord to insist on another 12 months? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Guest Avatar
Tabitha 15th February, 2015 @ 22:58

I am a student and my friends and I have just signed for a house. Our contract starts in June and is a year contract, therefore I am paying rent from June! I have just received a message saying that I will not be able to collect my keys until September, so I'll will be paying rent for three months before actually being allowed access to my accommodation. Are the agency actually allowed to make me pay rent for a property that I am forbidden access to until September? This seems crazy to me.

Guest Avatar
Phil 25th April, 2015 @ 10:22

Hello Can anyone help .I have looked but can not get a straight definitive answer.My student tenant and i have an AST agreement until July12th/15 on a fixed term .He now wants to stay until July 12th/16.We are both happy to tear up the current agreement today and write a new fixed term agreement till the new date 07/16 .How do we do that legally ?

Guest Avatar
Karen 18th October, 2015 @ 10:25

Hi, I signed a 6 months lease but did discuss staying for a year. My tenancy agreement reads like this expiry date 30th November but as REQUESTED this agreement will be renewed on the 30th November for a further 6 months.
However since I moved in I have been unwell with a severe cough a sore throat all rests from gp are clear. I am now on inhalers as my breathing is being affected. Can I give my one months notice on the 30th Oct to vacate on the 30th November. I have since found out the previous tenant had the same health problems. I have contacted environmental health who are going to arrange a visit to check for damp etc.
I am thinking as it says REQUESTED that I can get out of renewing for a further 6 months.

Any help and advise would be appreciated.
Thank you

Guest Avatar
Kevin 24th November, 2015 @ 20:25

@ Karen

In short, if they don't have any written agreement that you would take a further 6 month fixed period after the first, then your existing tenancy becomes a rolling month to month periodic agreement. Don't sign any further agreements for any tenancy and give your landlord one month notice to quit.

Guest Avatar
charlotte 29th November, 2015 @ 12:01


I have recently moved out of a house share. The landlord was private found via spareroom. She didnt live in the house but rented privately then sublet the rooms to us all individually.

My contract was due to end at the end of November. I found somewhere else to live and confirmed i would not be extending my 6 month contract. I moved out 2 weeks before my tenancy ended, which i continued to pay for.

The landlord let my room 8 days before my tenancy ended. I have asked for a refund for these days as a replacement was found but this has been refused.

Just want to understand if this is illegal?? Its quite a bit of money otherwise i would not ask.

Thank you

Guest Avatar
Mary 30th March, 2016 @ 12:02


I was hoping to find some answers to a conundrum. We are about to complete on a property which is tenanted and run by a letting agent. We want to keep the tenants and self manage. The letting agent was to charge us a tenant find fee. Does anyone know if this is legal? Haven't they already charged the previous owner for this?

Any ideas, comments welcome.

Guest Avatar
Simon Pambin 31st March, 2016 @ 08:21

Hi Mary,

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say the agent is trying it on. Any agreement, contract or business relationship he has is with the previous owner and the tenant is not his chattel to be bought or sold. Legally, he hasn't a leg to stand on, as far as I can see. Tell him to get stuffed.

Guest Avatar
keith 11th April, 2016 @ 15:57

could anyone tell me what happens when its a shared tenancy agreement and one leaves and says they are not paying any more rent and the the other tenant says they are paying there own half only who is liable for the rest

Guest Avatar
Matthew 26th October, 2016 @ 20:21


I am currently letting several rooms in a property. I am not the owner but I am living in one of the rooms and managing the rental of the property for the landlord as they are no longer able to do so.

Is there any obvious differences required for the rental of several rooms compared to the rental of a complete property?




Please leave a comment...