How To Add Someone To Your Mortgage

Adding Someone To Your Mortgage

The process of adding someone to a mortgage is quite common, so it’s usually a straightforward process. The most common scenario is adding a long-term partner, but that’s not the rule of thumb.

Here’s a general overview of adding someone to your mortgage, and a couple of key points I believe you should be aware of before taking the step.

How to add someone to your mortgage

Adding someone to an existing mortgage

If you want to add someone to your existing mortgage you need to contact your mortgage lender to arrange it. They’ll send you documents to complete, it will be a similar process to a new application, so they’ll need to verify affordability, credit history and identity of the person you wish to add some to the mortgage.

Bear in mind that there might be costs involved, which typically includes arrangement fees, legal fees and possibly even additional stamp duty fees. Yeah, more tax… it never stops.

Remortgaging to a joint policy

Another option is to remortgage and apply for a joint mortgage, this will essentially entail signing up for an entirely new mortgage policy.

If you’re not tied into the fixed-term with your current lender, then remortgaging should be relatively straightforward. You can look for a new mortgage policy either with your current lender or a new lender altogether (transferring the debt). You can compare the market with Habito (a free online specialist mortgage broker, who search the whole market).

If you are tied into a fixed-term, then remortgaging (in order to add someone new onto the policy) probably won’t be the best option, because you’ll likely be subject to early repayment charges. In this case, you could either add someone to your existing policy (as already discussed) or wait until your fixed term expires, and then look at remortgaging to a joint mortgage.

Married couples & their rights…

It doesn’t really matter whose name the house is under when it concerns married couples. Both involved have rights to the property, so each individual would have a claim on the property irrespective of whose name or names appear on the deeds. So there’s no real need to add your partner on the mortgage if you’re married.

In the event of death of the deed holder, the property will automatically pass from one spouse to the other, and provided life cover was in place to repay the mortgage there would be no advantage to adding a partner to it.

Adding a non-married partner to your mortgage

If you’re not married but you want to add your partners name onto the mortgage, by doing so the property will ensure you both get fair rights if the property is sold.

However, if you initially purchased the property (before meeting your partner) and have built up equity over the years, it’s wise to protect your investment in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Under a tenants in common arrangement each half of the couple own a defined share of the property agreed at the outset. If you have a joint agreement you will jointly own the property in full. My advice would be to speak to a solicitor about arranging either of these arrangements.

Be careful before adding your partner to your mortgage

I always suggest proceeding with caution when it comes to adding a partner to a mortgage. I know it’s a negative way of thinking but you should always consider “What if shit happens?

Yes, you could be in the best relationship of your life, but that doesn’t mean circumstances won’t change. Trust me, I’ve had a girl tell me she loves me one week, only to tell me she wants to see my corpse scrapped across the M24. It happens. It’s life.

On that note, I would personally arrange a tenants in common agreement if I’ve built up equity in a property by myself.

Sure, my partner may get offended, but I’d feel a lot safer. If at any point we split up, why should she taste the fruits of my labour? Not going to happen.

Unfortunately, I’ve seen too many people take gigantic hits when it comes to separation and real estate. One person is usually laughing to the bank, while the other is sitting there with their head buried in between their legs, wondering why the hell they didn’t protect their asses.

If your partner has put in an equally invested into the property, or is willing to do so, then adding them to get a 50% share seems fair.

Tenants in common – get what you deserve

If your partner will eventually invest 20% of the property’s value, while you’re investing 80%, then you can arrange it so you’ll get the same shares back if you decide to sell the property. Of course, the slicing of the pie can get more complicated, but that’s just the general principle.

As mentioned, you can define share of the property at the outset, which I think is the fairest way of doing it- you get back what you put in.

51 Join the Conversation...

Guest Avatar
Lisa Middleton 3rd September, 2010 @ 17:39

some great advice on here but am looking for the answer to 'how do I swap my mum for my partner on my mortgage?' if you could answer that (and costs involved) that would be fantastic! Thanks, Lisa

Guest Avatar
Jools 4th September, 2010 @ 13:27

Hey Lisa - the best people to ask are your current mortgage providers as I very much doubt anyone here will be able to give you costs as it would appear that the mortgage lenders are able to make up their own figures as they go along!

They should also be able to give you details on how to do the swap if it is possible. You will also need to contact a solicitor to do the legal work involved - ie changing names at the land registry etc.

I think you question is a little too specific for this forum!

Hope this helps a little.



Guest Avatar
Joel Johnson 30th December, 2010 @ 21:54

I Got June From NH Because it has feeling look like i'm picking up june =)

Guest Avatar
brian taylor 8th March, 2011 @ 11:22

me and my now ex girlfriend started buying our house a year ago and she met someone else .. now i want to move out and let her have it all with her new fella .. the mortagage is in both our names and i want mine off and she can put her new fella on and take over my part in all finance areas.. i dont want any money back id just be greatfull that it'll free up around £350 a month not having to pay my half of the mortagage .. who do i call or whats my next step? will the bank allow him to take my place on the mortagage straight swap??? kind regards Brian

Guest Avatar
barbara buckley 21st March, 2011 @ 14:38

we have moved out of our property because we could not keep up with the payments,however my son and his family had no were to live ,so they moved in and are paying the mortgage,we want to take our name off the deeds and for my sons name to be put on them,

Guest Avatar
GDM 26th April, 2011 @ 18:07

Currently in process of buying house with my partner, She bought house 2, almost 3 years ago and the estimate is that it has not gone up in value given the recent recession etc..
She borrowed money from a family member as a deposit with the view that it could be repayed as a lump sum "whenever the time was right".

I have calculated that I will pay her 1/2 the deposit money borrowed and around 1/2 of the equity gained in the house- which after initial fees only leaves me a few thousand £ excluding deposit. I think this is fair and in my view would eradicate the need for a - tennents in common agreement.

I will also pay any legal fees for my name to be added to mortgage.

Do you agree this is fair?

Guest Avatar
Justine 17th May, 2011 @ 20:26

I have a mortgage on a property and would like to add my partner onto the mortgage and title deeds as joint tenants. He has paid money into the house when we bought it, but couldn't go on the mortgage at the time as he had an existing mortgage. His property is now sold. Do we need to go through a solicitor to add him to the deeds?

Guest Avatar
missy 1st September, 2011 @ 12:17

Hi, iv been living with my partner for a while now and we are toying with the idea of having added to the mortgage, only thing is i don't have a great credit ratings due to past issues. will this stop me being added onto the mortgage??

Guest Avatar
veronica creevy 6th December, 2011 @ 21:49

Me and my been living together for 6 years.I was in living in his house for 3 years,Then we decided to buy a house we both put money into it.But had to get a small morgage which is in my name as he is self employed.We want to put his name on the morgage as he has put over half the money in this would we go about it.

Guest Avatar
fabio lopez 3rd May, 2012 @ 16:26

hello I need advice

Me and my girlfriend have a one year old daughter. She wanted to buy a house so i went along with it. We saved up almost £21000 together (50/50) and because we needed more I used my £5000 saved up to complete the deposit. Because of my adverse credit history I gave all my money to my girlfriend and she managed to get the mortgage in her name. We did not tell the lender that I will be living there and contributing half of the monthly payments (£356) but now am scared that things may change in the future (relationship wise) and lose everything I have invested. Now I want my name on the mortgage, firstly because i gave half of the deposit and also used my only savings, and paying half of the monthly mortgage payments, WHAT CAN I DO please???

Guest Avatar
Ishy 5th October, 2013 @ 21:54

JustAnswer has -- "Hi I am buying buy to let houses with my two sisters and two" -- because it falls within my area of expertise. I just need a few more details about your situation and I will get to work!

Guest Avatar
Ahmed 7th December, 2013 @ 20:17

Is it possible, that can i put my wife's name into my property deed as 50% partner?
Please reply to my mail.

Guest Avatar
John 29th January, 2014 @ 10:52

Adding someone to your mortgage gives both parts (you and the person whom you add) equal rights to the property and its value. In this case your mortgage company will ask you for financial records and information about the person you are adding. That is why you need to contact your mortgage company and tell them about your intentions. It’s not a good thing to add a person to your mortgage as like the article says it’s life and everything can happen, otherwise it’s rather expensive to add a person to your mortgage. You may need to pay a higher interest rate in order to add that person to your mortgage if he has poor credit or a history of foreclosure or bankruptcy. We should be very cautious.

Guest Avatar
Julie 6th March, 2014 @ 18:06

My aunt is 85 she bought a property 25 years ago with cash.. her partner (not a very trustworthy person) said he was going to pay half but never came up with any money so she said her name would be the only one going on the deeds. Now 25 years down the line after years of manipulation and bullying and paying nothing towards the property itself or up keep of the property he got her to name him on the deeds. Is there anyway his name can be removed without him knowing? As recently he has obtained loans on the house of upto £88,000.00 without her knowing as she now has mild Alzheimers.

Guest Avatar
Add 6th March, 2014 @ 19:51

Julie- sounds like a difficult position, unfortunately without her partner agreeing to have his name removed there is no other way.

The only other option is going through courts but it sounds like their is no defining moment to prove he manipulated and bullied his way into this house. Legally he owns 50% of the property and depending on any Willa potentially 100%.

Best seeking legal advice

Guest Avatar
Julie 6th March, 2014 @ 20:31

Thanks for your advice. Do you think it will make any difference that they had been living together at the property for over 20 years and he wasn't on the deeds, then after my aunt was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2007 he left it 5 years until 2012, then all of a sudden he was on the deeds! Or is it going to be a case of we have to prove she had no real idea of what she was doing. The CID are involved as well as the Court of Protection because he and his family got her to sign Lasting Power of Attorney's to them, but nearly £150,000.00 has been transferred and as I said before loans taken off the property. The Court of Protection are now having the LPA's revoked. I just worry he is still on the deeds.

Guest Avatar
Nic 6th June, 2014 @ 07:18

I first started with my own home , and later bought a house with my partner. Things have been a little shaky since then. I want to stay together but have house put solely back in my name . Our fixed rate is up, can we sort it then ??

Guest Avatar
tez 13th July, 2014 @ 23:48

my partner died me not on deeds or mortgage can his family throw me out of house. I put money into his account very month to pay mortgage i payed bills.He is married but died before he could divirce her. Could I stay in the house and pay the mortgage off. please help

Guest Avatar
Debs 11th September, 2014 @ 19:20

My husband and I have been split up for 3 years. Not legally separated or divorced yet. The house I'm in is in joint names but we have another buy to let property. That house is in his name only. Bought it over 10 years ago. Am I entitled to 50/50 on that property too?

Guest Avatar
Jen 23rd September, 2014 @ 03:31

My common law partner and I recently bought a home. He payed the down payment and legal fees and got the pre approved mortgage. I was not involved in any of that as my credit is poor. Since we have been living in "our" new home I pay for half the mortgage, taxes and insurance. I would like to have my name added to the mortgage. I am rebuilding my credit and wondering if adding my name is a good idea now or should I wait? God forbid anything happens to separate our family but I would like to know I have something in the end if things fall apart. Need advice :)

Guest Avatar
Joe8907 4th October, 2014 @ 17:02

This is a tricky one because by law if you purchased the property before you got married (if you get married then divorced without kids) your partner most likely will get nothing, but if they persuade you to put your mortgage in their name too, then obviously they will get 50% in a split.

If you get married and have kids this can be complicated too even if you bought the house before in your name because of the kid/kids issue and that is taken into account in divorce proceedings. Also if you buy a house with your money AFTER you are married, chances are he/she will be entitled to a decent percentage if you get divorced (I think that only applies if you have kids) just be very very cautious because when we are 'in love' or think we are, we can make really stupid financial decisions, best to keep properties in your own names especially with the divorce rate being 50% in the UK!! If a partner forces you to put their name on your deeds and you pay the most money you may want to question if they love you or your property, just saying.

Guest Avatar
Cam 31st October, 2014 @ 11:55

I have a legal issue that may result in my losing a large amount of money .
I live with my partner but she is not on the mortgage .I would like to protect my equity from the courts if I were to lose .Can I gift the house to my partner or would just adding her name protect the equity .

Guest Avatar
bill101 1st November, 2014 @ 18:16

My girlfriend moved in with me four years ago and didn't pay anything to the mortgage. We have a one year old daughter now too. we moved house a few months ago and she persuaded me to have her named on the mortgage. I paid all the deposit and now she is saying that it's her house and making it almost impossible to stay with her. Despite my best efforts the situation is rapidly deteriorating and her mother is living with us now too. Anyone no how I can legally extract myself from the situation without losing my life's investment?

Guest Avatar
Brkoy 19th November, 2014 @ 22:10

My partner has not included me in the mortgage nor in the title deed of a property but because I will be living in it with him and our child, the building society has asked me to sign a consent. What does this mean please anyone?

Guest Avatar
Karen 19th March, 2015 @ 10:34

My daughter and ex husband bought my mother's property when she went into a residential home. Unfortunately the marriage ended and my daughter wanted to keep the house so I loaned her some money and my son put his name on the re-mortgage and they shared the house. It was my son's understand and in agreement that he would be on the mortgage for 2 years. My daughter met somebody else and everything was fine for a while but the relationship wasn't good even though she had 2 children to this man. They have split up a couple of times because of his violent behaviour and my son moved out because of this and is in a council bedsit due to be sold off and as the 2 year agreement is up with his sister he would like to have his name taken off the mortgage. What does he need to do?

Guest Avatar
peter 22nd March, 2015 @ 16:08

i purchased my house 15 years ago, the mortguage is in my name. my partner was unable to put her name on my property due to a divorce case. she now wants security for her share of the equity and funds she gave me to renovate the house before we moved in. problem is my income would not pass for a remortguage in joint names, so i am unable to get her name on the mortguage.. how can i have her put on the title deeds of the house for a share of the equity. any advice would be much appreciated.

Guest Avatar
jules 28th March, 2015 @ 17:45

Is it possible that when my husband and I buy a house we could add My son's name to the mortgage application form

Guest Avatar
louise 10th April, 2015 @ 18:17

Hi, i live with my boyfriend who has his own house but he has asked me if i would like to buy 50% share of his house is this possible? He only has 7 years left on his mortgage, can i get a mortgage to pay off whats left on his mortgage and he gets the remainder as a lump sum.

Guest Avatar
Lorraine 7th May, 2015 @ 14:18

My partner would like to put my name on his property, he has been struggling to pay his mortgage and with my help, extra income, will be able to catch up with his arrears,can his mortgage lender say no?

Guest Avatar
mandy 30th June, 2015 @ 15:47

can my partner buy a property in his name and add my income on?

Guest Avatar
Rajinder Jutley 8th August, 2015 @ 12:57

We are doing extant ion we are going to remortgage can we add our sons name in our property he is willing to pay the mortgage he is living with us

Guest Avatar
James 11th January, 2016 @ 16:27

My wife and I own a buy to let property with an interest only mortgage. Can we add my son to the mortgage but continue to pay the mortgage? In this way he would receive 1/3 of the rental income without incurring any costs and be entitled to a third share of the house if it was sold at some future date.
Are there any income or stamp duty issue associated with doing this?

Guest Avatar
E Sammy 21st February, 2016 @ 13:51

My mum was divorcing from my stepdad 6 years or so ago and removed his name from the mortgage. As my mum only worked part time and still had an expensive mortgage she added my name to increase her affordability as the mortgage company advised her she technically couldn't afford the house alone I don't contribute to the mortgage payments. I'm now wanting to buy a house with my partner and want to check if I would be classed as owning two houses? I don't think I'm on the deeds to my mums house just the mortgage. Please can I have some advice as I wouldn't want to be stung for capital gains tax if either house sold in the future and would I be classed as a first time buyer . Hope this makes sense Thank you

Guest Avatar
Lorraine Strachan 6th March, 2016 @ 21:07

My mother in law put her deeds in her sons name when she bought a house in scotland in cash. After that she met a partner who has contributed nothing to the house and lives freely on her pensions. After family arguments she has made a will saying house has to be sold and shared with her daughter and partner. Can she will a house that's not in her name? Will we be able to remove him from the property?

Guest Avatar
Jackie 21st March, 2016 @ 19:57

Three years ago I added my son onto my mortgage after divorcing my husband . I was wondering if I need to make a will to ensure my other son gets his share. Should it be 50/50 as son on mortgage only been on three years or should it be 75/25. Will I be able to write on paper that I want it shared 50/50 without a will for time being as son will want to get his own mortgage with his partner at some point.

Guest Avatar
Jen 20th May, 2016 @ 20:47

be very wary of adding other people to your deeds, it's took me 14 years to get my ex off my deeds, he paid £1,600 towards my house, he nagged me to get on my deeds, domestic abuse divorce, he refused all offers to keep control, he paid nothing towards the house in any way, he admitted he only paid £50.00 for 8 month, as he's an unemployed alcoholic, who is very clever, Iv had to give him £23,000, all in its cost me £32,000.

Guest Avatar
Carla 6th July, 2016 @ 10:08

Hi. Have seen some great advice but i need a bit more if possible. My ex and i split up over 5 years ago and ive been my new partner 3 years. My ex has been with his 4 years. Basically my ex wants his name off the mortgage, doesnt want anything from the house just wants to remove his name as he wants a new mortgage with his gf. I want my new partner to be put on. How do we go about this. Do we have to re-mortgage or can my ex's name just come off and my partners name on? Ive been paying the mortgage on my own since my ex left but cant afford to have my name on it soley. Thankyou

Guest Avatar
Cam 17th July, 2016 @ 00:00

I want to add my son name on my mortgage . That way if something happens to me or my husband there are no problems. Like bills taking the house or other child,That's right she gets nothing. I don't want my son to have to fight her for my house! I have put his name on everything we can think off, If I write a will on my own about belongings .Is that legal! I just don't want my boy to have to face her at all!

Guest Avatar
Lorraine Strachan 17th July, 2016 @ 01:21

Please can you answer nmbr 35?

Guest Avatar
Robert Brown 5th September, 2016 @ 21:05

My wife is 12yrs younger than me, we have been 2gether 22 yrs, After 2 affairs on her part she wants to separate. She has mortgage which I pay my fair share, but still has 15yrs left to run. She wants to leave immediately, be with latest affair, new partner, can I continue to stay and pay mortgage, I am 57yrs old and mortgage is only £200pm for 3bdrm ex council, but rent from council is £300 for 1bdrm,£400 priv. let, so far cheaper for me to stay and pay mortgage.Will the bank bother as long as mortgage paid, I am partially disabled and receipt of lifetime enhanced mobility and standard PIP. I also get tax credits but not enough time till 66 to have mortgage paid, plus I'm a self studio employed photographer, so a high risk. Kind Regards Robert

Guest Avatar
sandra 2nd January, 2017 @ 15:29

4 years ago my child and I moved in with my partner, we both own a property but because his had very little equity we rented out mine and lived in his.
Now we'd like to make things more permanent, I like living here but would like to own half of the house to feel more secure.
What is the best way to do this ? Could I simply be added to the deeds/mortgage (I have the funds to purchase my half of the house)or do we need to re mortgage together. Also would I have to pay 3% extra stamp duty on the whole price of the house or just the half I'm buying ?
Im not planning on selling my original house as this is rented out to partners child.
Thanks for any advice

Guest Avatar
Caroline Dart 28th January, 2017 @ 08:47


My 63 year old brother bought his council house some years ago and told me he has left it to me in his will. He lives on his own and has no wife or children. A few years ago he was made redundant and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage anymore. Knowing that the house one day will be mine, I offered to pay the remaining five years mortgage. This I have been doing now for three years and have another two years to pay. I am not on the mortgage or deeds but just pay money into his account each month. To prevent the house being sold, should my brother ever need care in the future, should I have my name put on the mortgage to secure it or is it enough that I can show proof of me having paid into it. The house is worth about £120,000 and my brother has no savings.Thank you for your help.

Guest Avatar
Rushdy 19th March, 2017 @ 18:41

Please answer to question 38

Guest Avatar
Stephen 5th February, 2018 @ 16:03

I do have a solution and agencies even creditors cannot solve. I have a problem on my credit report, for the past 4 or 5 years I have paid non-stop and on time, however, CreditExpert still shows that all payments are late, how can this be? I contacted the agency that is helping me, and they said that although the money is taken on time from my bank account, and paid by them to the creditor on time, it is the process within the creditor that causes the delay. This keeps affecting me in all way and I want a solution to this in order to get my credit score back on track, so the agency whom I contacted confided to me that I should contact this credit coach via gmail (cyberhack005) who helped me remove all negative item on my credit report and increase my score to its maximum after we seal a deal(absolutely incredible) I applied for a loan and was granted.

Guest Avatar
AJH 3rd April, 2018 @ 18:21

Hi does anyone know the answer to this ; my girlfriend and i would like to buy a house together. She would be a first time buyer and i would not. As i think that would result in “us” not being first time buyers, in order to save the stamp duty, should she buy the house first and then add my name to the mortgage afterwards? Would this be the cheaper option? Is there any kind of loop hole here?

Guest Avatar
Brad Lohhy 14th October, 2019 @ 22:47

Work from home

[email protected]

Guest Avatar
Carol A. Gilligan 26th January, 2020 @ 17:29

My name is not on our morgage although we have an insurance with both our names on it. If anything happens to my husband would I automatically get the house?

Guest Avatar
Robbie Boardman 28th February, 2020 @ 10:36

i am employed full time earn around 31000 + approx 1000 for subsistence plus around 4000 car allowance. i was wondering, my partner has a mortgage / half of shares property. We where wondering what options we have so we both have the mortgage and buy outright. i am 52 years old, have medical issue copd(minor & controlled) and i have poor credit. I also have car on HP and a current loan
is their any option / hope for us
thank you for you time

Guest Avatar
Jean 3rd July, 2020 @ 19:16

Hi, i need advise please, my husband and i are splitting up i need to buy him out, in order to do that i have to remortgage and pay him off, adding that amount to current amount we have bank refused to offer it to me, as i have no one no family here in uk, would it be possible to add my sister who live in australia to my mortgage?
If anyone know please let me know.

Guest Avatar
Tim 4th July, 2021 @ 07:11

Hello everyone, not sure if anyone will read this forum comment anymore however I will give it a shot.

So the story is:

I bought a house with ex in 2015 / split 1 year later :( (5 years) then met another girl and been with her 5 years nearly.... bought ex our and payed around 8k (her half) now own the hour in my name only. Had a lodger for this time also who have contributed to the house which is great. My current gf lives with me but I have never took more then £70-£100 a month for rent.

We are at the stage now whereby shes saving for deposit for our 2nd home however due to 2nd stamp duty etc plus high risk of 2 houses being lost etc. I have come round to the idea of adding her onto the mortgage. There is about 87k left on the mortgage and in theory around 49k equity which I have put in and lodger mainly. I am thinking of taking the 10k saved from gf to add to the mortgage and already dropped the question that it will be unequal shares which she feels is fair enough... (i think) my mortgage is due to renewal in January (which is great as she should have the 10k by then)

My questions are:

what do you think is the fair split on tenants in common?

i am guessing if we marry then it would be 50/50% anyway?

if we have a child only will it only remain the tenants in common split?

how much approx would it be to add someone onto the mortgage?

I have a perfect credit rating and so does my gf and she earns around 20k a year so only adding her onto the mortgage shouldn't be an issue right?

Will we get charged any tax for adding her onto the mortgage?

thanks for reading, hope this makes sense - Let me know if not!


Guest Avatar
Ssuan Smith 10th January, 2022 @ 16:44

How is the best way to add my daughter to my BTL mortgage and add her name to the deeds?
Thank you

















Your personal information will *never* be sold or shared to a 3rd party. By submitting your details, you agree to our Privacy Policy.

I want more info on...