It’s been a few days since I viewed the property I had taken a liking to, and there’s been very little activity in between. Somehow I’ve managed to stick to my game plan, which was to act like an uninterested snob towards my Estate agent. I never contacted him, I was relying on him to call me (I knew he would).
Remember, if you’re looking for a bargain, never act overly keen, and never do the chasing; let the Estate Agent chase you while you dangle the carrot. Overly keen people are often the one’s that lose out on a good deal because their impatience is a costly liability.
Stuart called me yesterday (sucker) and asked me if I wanted to see more properties, and I gave him this rehearsed speech:
Stuart, I’m bored of property hunting, I don’t seem to like anything, I might just put an offer on a house you have shown me for the sake of it, after all, I’m not going to be staying there, so I don’t care if the deal falls through.
I basically gave him the impression that I was still very keen to invest into property, but at the same time indifferent about any deals falling through. So I told him about the particular property that I thought was reasonable (which I deep down LOVE). He told me that particular property hadn’t had any offers. I was just glad we were having this conversation over the phone because at this point I had a huge smirk on my face.
As previously mentioned, the house had an asking price of 165k, so I told Stuart to put an offer of 156k. His natural response was, “haha, are you serious? You can’t offer that low”. My response was, “I’m deadly serious, now do it, punk!!”
I wanted to offer more just in case someone made a better offer, and because I knew my offer was a little too cheeky. However, I had to have faith in my theories: the market is dead during this period, which means I can afford to haggle a little more dangerously than normal.
Stuart said he would call the seller the following day and make the offer! I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what the vendors response is…