SMF - Just Installed!

Property Ladder: 24th April- Haslingfield and Market Drayton

Started by propertyfag, April 24, 2008, 08:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

propertyfag

Oh, shit, I missed this one, and it sounded like it was a good'en.

On the Channel 4 website it says this:

QuoteDon't Give Up The Day Job -Property development. It requires a good business head and just a little bit of sheer bloody mindedness. In this, the third episode of the new series of Property Ladder, Sarah Beeny finds two people who find that becoming a developer isn't as easy as it looks.

Property 1 - Haslingfield
Robert Bickerdike was hoping to make a £77,000 profit in four months. Unfortunately, his listed cottage in Haslingfield in Cambridgeshire is one of the worst buys Sarah's ever seen and she's convinced that his plans for it are way off mark.

Property 2 - Market Drayton

Meanwhile, in Market Drayton in Shropshire, Diane Brown lives on the ground floor of an old stately home. She's planning to carve it up into two, sell off one half and live in the other. The problem is, an unsympathetic 70s conversion means it couldn't look less like an imposing country pile if it tried.

So, what happened? Was it good? The grounds of property #2 looks pretty amazing. But i'm curious about how development #1 went with Robert? Someone give me the lowdown, please!

Badger

Ye ist guy, didnt car if he made or lost on the development, in the end he lost, he was very very slow on what he needed to do, which to be honest as he was a mortgage broker i found a little odd.
He just couldnt get going and he was a prime example of someone who needs to stay away from development, which he admits.
He seemed like he didnt have a clue and wouldnt take any advice, not even from listed planning dept.
He lost and i am not suprised one bit.

House two, a lady who was to emotionaly attached to carry out what the place really needed,  She gave a reason for not converting the grand hallway as we used to eat sandwiches on the step so i want to keep it the way it is.  Very very bad indeed.  She infact only had the ground floor of the place, even so it had 14 rooms to play with and all of them a nice size,
She also didnt develop wisely and let her emotions rule her head * now where have we seen that before* so end result was not to the scale as a un attached person would have done it, still grand and still done nice, but the lay out was bad as you had to use the dinning room as a through fair from kitchen to living room etc, should have dont things diffo for sure.

propertyfag

Oh wow, that sounds like a good episode. I'll have to catch up!

How much did the guy lose? Man, it's really irritating watching someone drag developments out. I mean, what's the point of doing that? I swear, knowing that the timescale is the one of the most fundamental factors that determines the success of a development is common sense!! What was he thinking? Obviously I can't say much more because I haven't seen the episode, but I can take a guess at what it went like.

It's like when last season a few of the developers went on holiday half way through a development. Shit like that is just insane!!

propertyfag

Quote from: Aunt Blodwyn on April 24, 2008, 08:57:42 AM

House two, a lady who was to emotionaly attached to carry out what the place really needed,  She gave a reason for not converting the grand hallway as we used to eat sandwiches on the step so i want to keep it the way it is

hahaha that's a classic. NEVER heard something so ridiculous in my life.
That's what happens when you develop a project based on your own taste/desires. That's the biggest mistake you can make!

Did she make much of a profit?

Thanks for the gos, SB :)

Badger

Ye she made cash but not as much as she could have done if she would have changed two very important aspects, one the through fair and two a grander enterance and aproach,  she could have made a bomb.
The other thing she should have considered was to simply sell un refurb, she would have made more again i think.

The guy was a pillock from the start. ripping out lime plaster without knowing it had to go back as it was listed etc etc, the list was endless to be honest, he should have got someone in the know on site from the start, he was very bloody minded.

propertyfag

Fionalouisa

I missed it ... but I shall watch it tonight.  :)
Sounds a good one.

propertyfag

Quote from: FeeFee on April 24, 2008, 11:38:01 AM
I missed it ... but I shall watch it tonight.  :)
Sounds a good one.

We can watch it at the same time, so we can build a special connection. We can both watch it knowing we're watching it together  :-*

Fionalouisa

Badger

That is the best chat up i have seen for a while fag.
You great big fluffy one you  :-*

m00

I missed it too!

Don't think I'll watch it tonight for the pure fact that PF might think we have a 'connection' lol

Sounds good though, more mistakes, more losses and all our gain!  ;)

Badger

You could all sit there ummming at 8pm just before watching it,

ummmmmmm i can feel the connection ummmmmm can you.

Fag for this you will have to wear white pumps a white singlet and gym shorts ok. then and only then will this work, trust me i have tried it before but my shorts where to baggy you need tight ones ok.

People let me know how is goes  ???

propertyfag

Quote from: m00 on April 24, 2008, 12:54:38 PM
I missed it too!

Don't think I'll watch it tonight for the pure fact that PF might think we have a 'connection' lol

Sounds good though, more mistakes, more losses and all our gain!  ;)

You're so out of order, m00!

propertyfag

Go to hell, the lot of you.

Well, besides from Badgy, because he appreciates my skills with the ladies!

Fionalouisa

Quote from: propertyfag on April 24, 2008, 01:01:27 PM
Go to hell, the lot of you.

haha I like it faggie.

m00

Skills? Pah.

Why am I out of order? You said I was wonderful...  :-[

propertyfag

Quote from: m00 on April 24, 2008, 01:05:02 PM
Why am I out of order? You said I was wonderful...  :-[

"Don't think I'll watch it tonight for the pure fact that PF might think we have a 'connection' lol"

I rest my case, you hairy back Mary.

m00

Badger

Ahh come on guys we can all be big back hairy marys together, all we have to do is ummmm together !.
Ok who is going to start the ball rolling

ummmmm

propertyfag

Oh god, i'm watching this episode now- it's car crash TV!

I really want to shout at Robert; but he actually comes across as a nice guy (from what I've seen so far). He literally did no research whatsoever...

propertyfag

haha, what a classic line

Sarah: "How are you going to make this place look amazing"
Robert: "err err i'm just going to paint and stuff, and get some furniture in"

The entrance to the stately home was AWFUL! My god, Sarah was right when she said it looked like the servants entrance. But I must admit, the inside was pretty nice, I loved the high ceilings. It was a shame her heart was too attached to the property- what a killer. I really wouldn't mind living somewhere like that, but the entrance is just a total put off. Psssh. And walking away with a estimate of a 4k profit...errr...no comment. In terms of property development, it wasn't very successful. It's a hard one to call, though, because she had history with the property, so she had great satisfaction by reworking the place. The defining difference is that she got her sentimental worth, as opposed to her financial gains.

propertyfag

Right, it's come to an end of the show, so i'm going to stop rambling after this final post, haha.

I didn't know what to make of Robert. I mean, his property development skills were God awful, and it couldn't have been easy walking away with a loss. But he was really down to earth. He admitted he was an awful developer and he shouldn't give up his day job. On top of that, he admitted the property "is what it is, a 2 bedroom, little cottage that wouldn't win any prizes"

"I'm not dead, i'm not ill, and in the grand scheme of things, who cares"- what a great quote :)

m00

Finally watched this and I'm so frustrated!

Robert is a complete tw*t. The boyf and I were both sat here swearing our heads off at the plonker in sheer frustration, really, how stupid can one person be? Whats with his attitude to money?

Sarah: "You're quite flippant with money"
Robert: "Not really, it comes and it goes"

Duh!

The cottage ended up quite tidy but not a family home and his lack of research and enthusiam mean't he deserved the loss. Plus he's a mortgage broker and owns a TT...  :-X

The stately home was gorgeous. Granted the entrance should have been at the front which would then lead you directly into the living room but I do believe it was down to a privacy issue more than anything, she just didn't let on. Also I disagreed with the hidden door - 2k for a doorway? Nuh uh. The layout wouldn't put me off, just the entrance. Still it ended up being within our budget because of it!  ;D

propertyfag

Aww lay off Robert. I liked his layback attitude, but he even admitted he was not a developer.

The 2nd property is so nice, but as everyone already mentioned, the entrance was awful!!!! That would totally put me off! It looked like a dirty back alley behind a restaurant or something!

Badger

Sarah: i can see you are stubburn
Rich: No im not

Another classic line lol
I t wouldnt be tv if it all went swimmingly great eh !.

petermartin12

Ye she made cash but not as much as she could have done if she would have changed two very important aspects, one the through fair and two a grander enterance and aproach,  she could have made a bomb.The other thing she should have considered was to simply sell un refurb, she would have made more again i think.

petermartin12

The guy was a pillock from the start. ripping out lime plaster without knowing it had to go back as it was listed etc etc, the list was endless to be honest, he should have got someone in the know on site from the start, he was very bloody minded.