I’m not big on politics, for many reasons, but mainly because it’s bullshit.
I heard some snotty chump on the news the other day saying that he thought democracy was a beautiful thing, and that’s why our country is beautiful. He was getting erect by the queues of people lining up outside polling stations to vote.
I’ve never considered voting for someone else to run a country to be democratic. All we’re doing is giving other people power to make decisions for us. What’s democratic about that? It’s like the lowest form of democracy you can ever develop, isn’t it?
Now, if we were truly democratic, society would vote on each and every law. So yeah, bullshit.
Having said that, if I was in charge, it goes without saying that this country would be awesome, at least for Landlords. Here are the laws I would introduce/change:
- Once again, landlords would be entitled to receive benefits directly. We’ve abruptly learned that tenant’s receiving benefits directly doesn’t work.
- Any DSS tenant that says, “I’ve worked hard all my life; landlords that don’t accept DSS tenants are arseholes” should have their benefits frozen immediately. I’m bored of that argument and it irks me. If you’ve worked hard all your life, that’s your problem.
- Anyone that’s been receiving Housing Benefit for longer than 2 years without a legitimate reason should have their benefits revoked, no questions asked.
- Anyone that can’t financially support a child, yet chooses to have a child, should be exempt from receiving further benefits. Irresponsibility shouldn’t be rewarded. The victim (the child) should receive food/clothing by the government, not more money.
- The council will no longer pay benefits every 30 days. That shit is confusing and annoying for landlords. They will now pay benefits on a PCM basis.
- If a DSS tenant falls into arrears, their benefits will be revoked immediately.
- Having to wait 2 months before being allowed to evict a tenant when they’re in rent arrears is bullshit. The new law would specify 2 weeks. If a tenant falls 2 weeks in arrears, the landlord will be entitled to kick the fucker out. No court case required, no section 8 required, just straight out the door with a foot up the arse.
- If a tenant refuses to vacate the property then the landlord is entitled to enter the property, remove the tenants’ items and change the locks.
- If any personal possessions is left in the property, the landlord will be entitled to do as they please with them.
- if there’s a legal battle between tenant and landlord, the hearing should take place with in 10 days, where a final verdict should be given. None of this waiting 6 months business. We’re not getting any younger.
- I’ve yet to meet a tenant that 1) gives a fuck about Energy performance certificate 2) knows what one is. They’re pointless. They’re abolished.
- Letting agents are no longer allowed to charge tenants an admin fee for simply being a “consumer”. Here’s more about that riveting rant, Why Do Letting Agents Charge Tenants An Admin Fee?
- Letting agents that offer a poor service should be fined and/or closed down (depending on severity), regardless of whether they are part of an ombudsman or not.
- Renewal Fees, are now illegal.
- Landlords will have a 2 week opportunity to resolve any emergency maintenance work. That includes anything related to heating, general plumbing and water. Failing to do so will lead in an immediate fine.
- If a landlord has good reason to enter the property, and the tenant refuses to allow entry for no real good reason, the landlord will be entitled to enter. The list of “good reasons” will be developed in the near future.
- Squatters rights? Bye.
- Home Information Packs? Bye.
Do you have any suggestions?
Can you think of anymore awesome laws that should be passed?