Easy Landlord Guides
Here are a bunch of ‘easy landlord guides’ covering a broad range of areas, from how to evict tenants to how to decorate your BTL property.
All these guides are based on my own experiences, and may not represent the views of all other landlords. If you think any of the guides need revising, please let me know, and I’ll happily update the content.
Guides For New Landlords
- Complete Guide for New Landlords
Ultimate guide for new landlords, covering A-Z, including the process of becoming a landlord and what is required. A step-by-step guide.
- Complete Guide For Landlords That Don’t Want To Use Letting Agents
Typical step-by-step explanation of the steps a landlord should take in order to get started- from making the property legal to finding occupants.
- Which Letting Agent Should I Choose?
This guide explains how what landlords should look out for when choosing a letting agent to work with.
- Guide On How To Put A Landlord Inventory Together
A guide on how landlords should put inventory forms together so they maximise their cover against loss in repairs and damages.
Before letting your home- Legal
- Landlord Legal Responsibilities, Obligations & Regulations
Before letting your property, there are a number of legal obligations you MUST (and should) abide by. These are all necessary obligations; failing to comply with these could result in prosecution.
- Landlord Insurance Guide
FAQ on the topic of Landlord Insurance and the option of receiving FREE quotes from UK Landlord Insurance Specialists.
Guides on Decorating Buy-to-let Properties
- Decorating/Renovation Guide For Buy-To-Let Properties & Landlords
Tips on how to make your Buy-to-let property practical and durable.
Guides on Marketing & Finding Tenants
- Ultimate Guide To Finding Tenants
This step-by-step landlords’ guide covers the actions typically taken when trying to find tenants.
- How To Find Tenants For Your BTL Property For Free
This guide explains how you can market your property for free in 17 different ways.
- How To Find Tenants By Advertising On The Biggest Rental Portals Online
This guide explains how you can find tenants by marketing your BTL property on the biggest rental/tenant portals online at a small cost e.g. Rightmove, Findaproperty, Propertyfinder etc.
- Guide On Landlords And Pets
This guide explains the advantages and disadvantages of landlords allowing pets. But most importantly, how allowing pets can increase your chances of finding tenants.
- Landlord Guide On Using Professional Property Photography
Don’t underestimate the power of professional photos and presentation when you’re trying to find tenants. This guide will show you what sells and what doesn’t, and how you can save a shitload of money by investing in good photos.
Guides on Tenant Referencing
- Tenant Referencing Guide
Probably one of the most important stages of finding a tenant: a useful guide on how to avoid bad tenants.
- How Landlords Can Avoid Bad Tenants
Extra tips and tricks and tell-tale signs, which can help expose potentially awful tenants!
Guides on Evicting Tenants
- How To Evict Tenants
The Landlords process for evicting tenants- what and how to do it.
- Steps To Take When Evicting Tenants (Chart Version)
This flow chart shows the steps landlords should typically taken when trying to evict tenants.
Guides on Tenancy Agreements
- Basic guide on Tenancy Agreements
An overview of what a tenancy agreement is, along with answering many of the most frequently asked questions.
- How To End / Terminate A Tenancy Agreement
There are actually several ways to end a tenancy agreement with your tenant- this guide explains each of them.
- How to Renew a Tenancy Agreement
This guide covers several ways of how you can renew a tenancy agreement with your existing tenants.
Guides on Finances
- Best Ways For Landlords To Cut Costs & Save Money
The ultimate guide on how landlords can save thousands of pounds by following good and sensible practises.
- Buy-to-let Mortgage Guide
FAQ on the topic of Buy-to-let Mortgages and the option of talking to a UK Mortgage Advisor for free advice and quotes.
Guides on Selling your Property
- How To Sell Your House Quickly & Cheaply – complete guide on how to sell your house, from start to finish, including the most cost-effective solutions available.
- Guide On Conveyance Solicitors for buying or selling your home – A Conveyancer and/or Conveyance solicitor handles all the legal paperwork which is required for any property purchase or sale. Both buyer and seller will need one. This guide provides tips on how to find a good one (because a bad one can cause all kinds of problems).